Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2011 Fourtrax shiftmotor crazyness

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2011 Fourtrax shiftmotor crazyness

thunderhonda thunderhonda
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/16/14
01:35 PM

Hi all,
Strange things happening with my 2011 Fourtrax 420 AT, we've been in some frigid cold weather for the last month and my bike won't shift into first without some throttle, if i'm lucky to get it to shift.
When its in first it works fine, plow snow all day. BUT when I shift up to 2nd and start to get the rpms up I can hear the shift mechanism trying to shift. At least that what it sounds like.
It was working fine in the summer months, but now…. I have to correct this before something breaks.
I always let it warm up for 15 min when its cold. I even thawed it out in a garage for a few days and its still the same.
I dropped it off at the local dealer (very small town Canada) they said "somthin' musta broke inside" I asked what the flashing code was and they hadn't even checked that"???? I swear it was a huge waste of $$$ to find out that!
I think its the shift motor or something - I thought it was the shift angle sensor but they said its fine?
Its still very cold here and i'm planning to get to work on it when it warms up but does anyone think they can help me troubleshoot it online?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the skills to help.
I have the tools and the shop manual now so I'm ready. _ got a code "66"??
Tony  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 01/17/14
05:17 PM

Code 66- Rear VS Sensor no signal- Loose or poor contact of the rear vs sensor connector or rear vs sensor or it's circuit malfunction. Symptoms- AT shift & ESP function doesn't work in 2nd, 4th or reverse gear only.  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

thunderhonda thunderhonda
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/18/14
09:29 AM

Thanks mikelm, i can't seem to find the complete Diagnostic code  list in my repair manual. Shifting to reverse works fine and if I can get it to shift to 1st, it works until I shift to second, when its in second and I start to raise the RPM's past a "trot" I can hear it trying to shift up or something?  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 01/18/14
10:41 AM

All of the Dtc codes have that same symptom as listed above. You should be able to test the rear vs sensor with the manual. The problem will be with clearing the dtc code, scs connector will definately be cheaper than the hds pocket tester.  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK