Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

No spark

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

No spark

teaton19 teaton19
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/08/12
01:50 PM

I have a 2001 polaris 425 xpedition. I just replaced the stator thinking that was the cause of no spark, but I checked it again and I still have no spark. What else could go bad that would cause no spark?  

250man 250man
Posted: 12/14/12
09:40 PM

check with wolf1  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/14/12
09:55 PM

Hey 250man let me know which manual you were having trouble with....

teaton,
bad coil, bad cdi, bad coil wire, blown main fuse...though from memory this atv may have a resettable relay. (look for a black plastic pouch under the left rear fender) and or fuses under the headlight cover/hood.  
could even be a bad or loose plug wire. (look where the wire goes into the coil) trying to bring memory up to par here.... bad kill switch, bad brake light switch if applicable to starting procedure.  bad ignition switch.

to test the coil unplug the wire going into the back of the coil. remove the plug wire from the spark plug. using a meter set to ohms..place one lead of your meter into the spark plug cap, place the other lead on the wire/spade connector on the back of the coil. you should get a reading of 3-5 ohms (depending on meter settings also 13-15) if not then most likely the coil is bad.  on the polaris refer to your manual to test the cdi and stator. (only one wire coming to the back of the coil i believe)  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/15/12
01:17 PM

check this video on the polaris sportsman.  it'll explain some of the possible causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0aaLfJBGLY  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

teaton19 teaton19
Posted: 01/06/13
07:56 AM

Thank you for the advice. Looking into what u told me. Will let you know what I come up with. Thanks.  

flower1156 flower1156
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/15/13
04:10 PM

WHAT KIND OF: POLARIS DO YOU HAVE , WE HAVE A 1997 400 . WE GET A SPARK EVERY NOW AND THEN A LIGHT SPARK.