Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2006 Arctic Cat 400 TRV. Should I buy it?

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2006 Arctic Cat 400 TRV. Should I buy it?

grandall1972 grandall1972
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/28/12
03:49 PM

I was wanting a few ideas on what I should be looking for before I purchase this Quad.

-2004 Arctic Cat 400 TRV 4x4
- 200 hours , 1300 miles
- $1500

Currently not running. Guy says it will start with starting fluid, but once it is out it stops running. I know it could be the carb or the fuel filter, but what else could it be.

Says it ran 2 months ago then he let it sit with possibly bad gas and now can not get it to start.

I have read about problems with the flywheels magnets, and don't want to get into that kind of problem if it cost or takes too much time to fix.

Let me know your thoughts, good buy or not, and what should I be looking for on an arctic cat as far as issues.

Thanks,
Gregory T>  

grandall1972 grandall1972
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/29/12
08:38 AM

I got it and a 4x6 trailer to go with it for $1700. Looks pretty good and turns over easily.

- will not fire on its own.
- if you spray a little starting fluid in the intake it starts right up and runs as long as you are spraying.
- oil looks and smells good.
- guy I got it from had let it sit for 2-3 years then tried to ride it a few weeks ago. He says it road well for a day then stopped.

I hope I got a deal, but if you have some previous knowledge heap it my way. What could be the problem and where should I start?

I will start my own check list soon, but a heads up and guide are always appreciated.

Thanks  

roknror roknror
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/27/13
02:57 PM

I would start with the basics: remove & clean gas tank, if equipped with fuel filter, replace it. Check the gas select valve (off-on-reserve) to make sure it is functioning. Check air filter while you are at it. I would also drain the gas out of the carb bowl. Spray some carb cleaner down the carb throat. Put clean gas with some Seafoam added and give it a try. Would not hurt to check the spark plug before starting. If this does not do it, you may have to take the carb off, take it apart, and clean it completely.  Good luck !!!