Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

PROBLEMS WITH THE 2005 ARCTIC CAT 400 AUTOMATIC

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

PROBLEMS WITH THE 2005 ARCTIC CAT 400 AUTOMATIC

MERTO MERTO
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/09/12
07:42 AM

I've had a great deal of respect for both Arctic Cat and their products since my parents purchased a brand spanking new Arctic Cat Panther snowmobile back in 1969.
  Since that time I've owned several used  Arctic Cat snowmobiles and found them to be reliable and a very sound investment.
  Based on that experience, there was no doubt what my choice would be when I decided to purchase my first ATV. I knew it would be an Arctic Cat from the very get-go.I ended up with a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 automatic.It was an incredable machine to say the least, that is until recently.
  One day it just up and quit on me. It was running fine, I shut it off, and it wouldn't start again. There was no spark whatsoever. After several friends tried to decifer the problem and failed I ended up taking it to an ATV repair shop.
  It took the guy two days before he managed to find the problem. The glue holding the magnets failed. Suzuki used GLUE of all things to hold the magnets in place????? Why not rivets or a cage of some type to hold them in place but GLUE??
  Surely there must have been a recall. WRONG!!!! Let the consumer bite the bullet. Arctic Cat was far too busy making money than to worry about a consumer.
  Why would I make such a statement? The answer's quite simple. When I contacted the dealer they acted as though it was the first time they'd heard about such a problem. When I called Arctic Cat, all I could get was an answering machine which failed to return my call. ARCTIC CAT SIMPLY DOESn'T GIVE A RIP!!!! They got my money so why worry about the small stuff?
  To add insult to injury, when I went to order the replacement part I was told by the parts dealer it was considerably cheaper to buy the part from SUZUKI rather than get it through ARCTIC CAT. As it turned out, it certainly was.
  Someway, somehow, between the time the part leaves SUZUKI and gets in the hands of ARCTIC CAT, the part from SUZUKI ends up being $100.00 cheaper than the EXACT SAME PART PURCHASED FROM ARCTIC CAT!!!!!! $369.00 vs $469.00. Not only does ARCTIC CAT lack the gonads to do a recall on their faulty products, they rip off the unfortunate consumer to the tune of an additional $100.00!!! Not the best move on their part to heal over damaged customer relationships.
   Oh, I for got to mention. The parts dealer informed me I was the 10th customer who suffered the same problem with the 2005 ARCTIC CAT 400 AUTOMATICS this year!!! As a matter of fact, they informed me they've averaged close to that number for the past several years.
   Will I ever purchase a product produced by ARCTIC CAT again. I sincerely doubt it.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/12/12
07:08 PM

you've run into big brand money issues. the more it costs the more they deny problems. and the more they charge you for parts and repairs. basically, because you paid extra for the atv they figure you'll pay extra for the parts. The biggest problem is when on e brand uses engines and other parts from another atv manufacturer the parts have to be mass produced in order to supply both brands. when you mass produce parts this way you end up with more defects. mainly because quality control suffers because they are at a rush to get the number of parts ready for use.   it's the same with the arctic cat dvx/suzuki ltz400. kawasaki kfx400.... they all use the same engine and some of the same electrical components. needless to say...more problems with all three atv brands. and you guessed it... if they can deny at arctic cat that it's a reoccuring problem then they make a lot of money selling you parts that cost a lot more.   I stick with honda and yamaha for this reason. they make their own engines and don't share with every other brand out there...which means better quality control and a better performing quad..... i've owned the z400 and it's a good quad once you get past the usual issues. and i've worked on a lot of dvx400's and kfx400's same usual problems that you see with the z400. keep an eye on your timing chain. replace it early and ONLY burn non ethanol high grade fuel.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

DonB.5655 DonB.5655
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/12/13
11:54 AM

I am dealing with the same issues you seem to be having.  I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 ATV and was plowing snow a few days ago and it just quit on me. There is no spark to the plug. I have checked the ignition fuse and ignition coil are all good and the kill switch is off. I went to the dealer where I bought it yesterday to have the ignition coil checked and he told me that they have not glued the magnets in these machines since 1999. He said they are a solid piece now. From what you wrote, who is right here? Any suggestions on what else could be wrong here?  Thanks!  

mcgruff528 mcgruff528
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/24/13
01:37 PM

I have a 2007 Arctic Cat 400 automatic...the ATV is completely dead...Battery is fully charged....fuses are all good... what do u suggest is my next step.  

joepos1 joepos1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/27/13
08:08 AM

I have a 2005 Artic Cat 400 4x4 TBX Auto that won't start with electronic starter but I can start with pull starter. The battery is fresh and makes a clicking sound when I try the starter button. I only have a couple hundred hours on the atv purchased new in 2007. It,also, seems like I've replaced batteries way too often!  

joepos1 joepos1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/27/13
08:09 AM

Confused I have a 2005 Artic Cat 400 4x4 TBX Auto that won't start with electronic starter but I can start with pull starter. The battery is fresh and makes a clicking sound when I try the starter button. I only have a couple hundred hours on the atv purchased new in 2007. It,also, seems like I've replaced batteries way too often!  

mcbigd mcbigd
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/06/13
05:46 PM

Icon Quotemcgruff528:
I have a 2007 Arctic Cat 400 automatic...the ATV is completely dead...Battery is fully charged....fuses are all good... what do u suggest is my next step.

im having the same issue with the same bike, if you find out what the issue is let me know so i can check mine  

gregb43 gregb43
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/10/13
05:03 PM

hI
I HAVE A 2008 ARCTIC CAT 400 AND I HAD IT RUNNING Friday NIGHT.
I T WAS LOW BUT NOW EMPTY ON GAS.
iT WAS IDLING AND WARMING UP THEN DIED AFTER 10 MIN.
I put some fresh gas in the tank and some Heet for moisture and still no start.
I have spark at the plug and cleaned the plug and still no start.
is there a fuel filter that I may need to change?
Unfortunately I don't have my manual.

Greg  

roknror roknror
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/26/13
10:38 AM

I also have a 2005 AC 400 I Auto, but just got it so I don't know if the wiring is similar to my 2000 500. There is a fuse (30 amp) in the right rear wheel well that blew on my 2000 due to a shorted wire by the steering column. I put a breaker in the fuse holder until I could chase down the short and fix it. The winch still worked and it started with the recoil. Maybe check to see if your ride has the same fuse in the wheel well. Just a suggestion. Also, manuals are available on line in either cd form or downloadable. That's how I got one for my 2005.  

donstem donstem
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/22/14
01:20 PM

I have a 2005 ARCTIC CAT 400 AUTOMATIC all I do is plow the driveway it shifts great until it gets hot then very hard to shift I even bent the shifting linkage the fan comes on to cool but the engine seems hot. how about some help lots of snow left to low...it has 400miles and 120 hrs  

donstem donstem
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/22/14
01:22 PM

I have a 2005 ARCTIC CAT 400 AUTOMATIC all I do is plow the driveway it shifts great until it gets hot then very hard to shift I even bent the shifting linkage the fan comes on to cool but the engine seems hot. how about some help lots of snow left to low...it has 400miles and 120 hrs