Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Tire PSI conflict

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tire PSI conflict

Sandbuster Sandbuster
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/05/12
03:00 PM

I own a Yamaha 660 Griz however my question does not relate directly to this ATV. I take care of a couple of Honda utility ATVs that belong to the local Sheriff's Dept. Today I noticed that both rigs had tire psi around 2psi. Here's the conflict: What appears to be the MFG safety sticker states that tire PSI should not exceed 3.6 psi or 2.5 kpa - however the sidewalls clearly state max psi is 36 or 250 kpa. My Griz has the same tire which also says max psi is 36 and I run it around 14 psi with good results. The Sheriff's ATVs handle horribly with the lower tire psi so I set them at 22psi rear and 21 psi front and all seems well (plus it raised the height by almost 2 inches). Any comments?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/11/12
09:57 PM

depends on usage. if they are riding in a lot of loose dirt which makes sliding down a hill easier then you would lower tire pressure. higher inflation will cause the atv to slide downhill with the wheels not turning.or to spin out going uphill in loose dirt.
same for sand a little lower gives better mobility while higher pressure causes the tires to dig straight down into the sand and get stuck.

if they are riding in grass higher pressure would be better.  too low and you lose traction in all terrains.

basically if you are question ride it where they do. if it's loose dirt stop on a downhill. see if there is a lot of sliding once the wheels have stopped.

on pavement or concrete not too high or too low or you'll wear out the tires  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

dmit dmit
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/05/13
07:21 PM

Last year I took my griz 700 in for service, when I picked it up I couldn't resist going for a ride on the way home, it was foul handleing rough riding sob, what in the h had they done, giving any throttle the tires would spin and not hook up the front end would push really bad in the corners it was almost scary. I got a wild hair and stopped and check the tire pressure, they were at 15 psi, I let the air down to 4.5 and got my old machine back, good traction, good steering and smooth ride.

the max pressure on the side wall is just that, you go much above that and you risk having the tire blow up.

run them at near what the manufacturer of the machine recomends.  

SLIDE1 SLIDE1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/11/13
01:51 PM

wiring diagram for 1990 yfmfwa big bear