Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2000 300 bayou SPARK concern

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2000 300 bayou SPARK concern

thompsonjoe22 thompsonjoe22
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/02/12
08:17 AM

I have a 2000 Bayou 300. Runs great when it starts..

Only get 1 good spark when letting off the start button. If its on the right stroke it fires right up.

NO consistant spark when cranking.

Anyone ever experience this. Need help

Thank you
Joe  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/03/12
10:13 AM

could be the cdi or the stator or even the coil itself.

testing the stator

remove the two wires going to the back of the coil.  set your meter to ohms then place the two leads of your meter to the two wires, but not where they come off the coil. but where they come from the wiring harness. one lead from your meter to each wire. it should read 299 plus or minus 20 percent. so anywhere from 239-359 is good.  if not then  most likely your stator is bad.

testing the cdi.

set your meter to dc volts. test the same two wires and turn the engine over. it should pulse at 40 volts..  if not then most likely the cdi is bad.

testing the coil
next set your meter to ohms again, place one of our meter leads in the spark plug cap and the other on the wires or connectors on the coil itself. one connector or wire at a time. it should read between 3 and 5 ohms... if not then most likely your coil is bad.

also check all wire connectors on the atv to make sure one hasn't vibrated loose.  this can happen during riding.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

bigdaddy198 bigdaddy198
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/06/13
12:36 PM

I am having the same problem with a roketa 250cc china quad as i let off the button I get a good spark or 2 I have not tried to start it or even see if it will fire off I had the same problem with another atv a couple years ago and I cannot remember what I did to fix it I know it was a stupid fix a bad ground or something