Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

ETON VIPER 70 HAS NO SPARK!!!!

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

ETON VIPER 70 HAS NO SPARK!!!!

04trx450r 04trx450r
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/11/12
09:33 PM

Ok so I bought my little brother a eton viper 2005 70 for christmas this year and it has been great. The last time he rode it we parked it after some light riding and went to pull it out the next weekend and it cranked  but wouldnt start. First i checked the plug and found no spark. Then i checked all the electrical plugs. Thats when i busted out the manual and my meter. In a nut shell this is what I found, voltage leaving the magneto is 85 volt ac. This voltage is found at the black/red also at the cdi. the ground has contiuity to the engine ground. Nothing seemed to be coming  out the cdi to the coil so I bought a brand new cdi and still got the same results. No spark. I checked the primay leads on the coil for continuity and that there is in fact continuity. When I check the secondary which im not really sure how to do i cant seem to find continuity. I checked from the spark plug wire to the primary terminals and found no continuity. Not sure if I should have. The other thing im not sure of is the recitifier. I have ground on one wire and voltage on another.

I dont know where to go from here.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 07/11/12
09:46 PM

use your meter and test the coil itself...place one lead in the spark plug cap and the other on the wire coming out of the back of the coil. set your meter to ohms and it should read 3-5 ohms if not it's most likely bad.  if it's good then having replaced the cdi, it's probably going to be your stator.  also check the brake light switches. one on the handlebars at the brake lever and one connected to the brake pedal.  some of them also had a lanyard... if a wire comes off it can do this, or if the lanyard switch has gone bad.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

04trx450r 04trx450r
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/12/12
07:48 PM

I have checked all the switches and they are good. as for the coil when i ohm test from the plug boot to the terminal i have no continuity at all. So this leeds me to believe that this is my issue. I have a spare coil laying around so im going to give it a shot. I just dont see how it went bad for no apearent reason especially when i have never seen one go bad at all but i guess crazy things happen.

thanks for your help!  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 07/13/12
05:26 PM

sounds like a plan. sometimes electronics just decide it's time to quit.....  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....