Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

1999 Polaris Sportsman 500, 4x4 problem please help??

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

1999 Polaris Sportsman 500, 4x4 problem please help??

MonteCarlo021801 MonteCarlo021801
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/19/11
06:46 PM

I own a 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4, when I engage the 4x4, only 3 of the 4 wheels spin. the front left side does not. I started by replacing the hub oil, that didnt work (although it was dirty and needed replacement). After that I replaced the armature plate...no luck. Ive been told its the clutch, or the magnet. I reeeally hope its not the clutch as ive been quoted $200 for it. The magnet is $88 dollars. I dont have alot of money, but my wheeler is the only thing that keeps my mind from stressing so much over bills, money etc...anyways, I need help? can anyone give me guidance? at this point, Im looking for a handout which i normally do NOT do. Thank you all in advance.     -Luke-  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 01/20/11
04:32 AM

is the axle turning but not the wheel?
or no axle turn at all?
if no axle turn and no noises like a broken cv joint would make, then yes it is electrical. or the magnet.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

three2second6 three2second6
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/27/11
09:52 PM

you can check the 4 wheel drive function on any polaris atv by pressing the rev. overide button and holding it by doing this it will lock in all 4 wheels as long as you are holding the button down. I found the best way is to put the transmission in low range to test this and have someone watch the wheels  

fourwheeling804 fourwheeling804
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/18/13
01:06 PM

Did you find out the problem? Im dealing with the same problem for my 1999 polaris sportsman 500. When i put it in 4 wheel only the the rears and right front turn, tried the rev. override and still the left front isnt turning.  

bill45colt bill45colt
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/17/13
09:29 AM

4wd on polaris is a simple affair, dont be intimidated. Take the wheel off, and check to see if the magnet in the hub is activated--magnetic--when the 4wd switch is turned on. If so, your problem is a mechanical one, inside hub small roller lock up pins are gummed up and need cleaning and a relube. If there is no magnetisim, check with a volt meter the wiring to the wheel units. Lots of time a small wire break in lead in wiring is hard to see but this is most often the case-cut by a limb or small wire. If wiring is ok but electricity doesnt get to hub, trace it back up the line to the break or 4wd switch and repair. If electricity gets to the hub but no magnetism, your coil has a broken wire inside. Open up and repair if possible, If not, rewind your own coil with varnish insulated copper wire same size and turns as inside the hub. Layer insulation paper over every layer of coils that you wind. Very simple fix, its a great design, and easy to repair at home with simple tools.  

Backcountry Backcountry
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/18/13
07:35 AM

I had a similar problem over the weekend.  My problem was the front left wheel would not engage.  There was power there and the magnet was grabbing the armateur plate so I had a hard time understanding why it wouldn't lock the hubs.  After beating my head against the wall for nearly two days, I discovered that the magnet clearance between the two poles was too great.  The outer pole is movable and is to be adjusted to 0-0.025.  Placing a flat scraper across the two poles and tapping the outer pole with a hammer until the clearance near zero as possible.  Having the proper clearance allows the magnet to grab the armateur with another force to turn the cam and push out the rollers.  When out of adjustment there just isn't enough friction to force out the rollers as it just spins too freely.  

I know that this sounds crazy and confusing a little.  I have the service manual with pics which help greatly in understanding what it is I'm talking about