Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

chinese 110cc ATV got spark but no start

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

chinese 110cc ATV got spark but no start

kiwihamish kiwihamish
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/27/10
03:08 PM

Hi,
It turns over, If I take the plug out it shows good spark, but it wont fire?
First thought carb or fuel problem so I drained the tank and cleaned the carb. it fired up no prob and ran twice for about 30 min each.
Went to start it the next day, it fired and ran for 3-5 sec then stopped, then while motoring it over and playing with the throttle and choke it coughed 2-3 more times but would not start. Now it cranks but will not even fire.

I repeated the above process with no success, so I fired some engine start into the carb while cranking with not Joy.
I took the plug out and confirmed a good spark, then injected the engine start directly into the cylinder, replaced the spark plug and still nothing, not even a cough/fart or burp?

With good spark and ether in the cylinder how do I not get something happening???

Could be the plug earthing on the cylinder but unlikely as its an NGK not the cheep chinese one that came with the bike although I have not replaced it yet so unless someone had a better idea I guess I am buying a plug?

If it was a kill switch issue would I be able to get spark with the plug out?    

Thanks
in advance for any help
Hamish.  

murphyb7825 murphyb7825
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/27/10
08:21 PM

It's been my experience that you don't get spark with a safety switch off/shorted.  Might check compression on the little motor - remove the plug and hold your finger over the hole.  If it's enough pressure coming out of the hole to move your finger - should be good enough to start the engine.  If it's less, could be bigger trouble like a head gasket.  

kiwihamish kiwihamish
Posted: 11/28/10
02:59 AM

Thanks for that, I am slowly eliminating options. I'll try compression at the plug tomorrow but there is plenty of pressure coming out of the exhaust and I would have expected it to cough with the engine starter sprayed directly into the cylinder.  

kiwihamish kiwihamish
01:29 PM

Heaps of compression at the plug.  

murphyb7825 murphyb7825
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/10
08:37 PM

I'm thinking carb issues.  Maybe some gel/gunk in the jet - or very possibly just may need to be a carb adjustment.  After a rebuild, I always screw the air/fuel mixture screw in all the way, then back it out 3 full turns, then tweek from there with 1/8 turns.  To much air or too much fuel won't let it start.  Also check the idol set screw - make sure it's not all the way in either.  

kiwihamish kiwihamish
Posted: 11/29/10
01:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I purchased a new spark plug today and first crank away she went, have tried it several times now and it starts first time every time. I guess the plug was earthing out on the cylinder. happy happy joy joy.  

Pzou812 Pzou812
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/01/10
04:33 AM

I have a 110cc that is doing the same thing it was going through plugs got that straightened out then it was eating batteries. I must have went through 4 batteries. I put a bigger battery i'n still not much luck. And I just can't seem to figure out the carb since the day I got it the choke dosn't work right. Like once it's warm and I take the choke off it dies I have to always play with it. Either it's a touchy choke or it needs to be re built. Anyone having this problem.  

mosss mosss
Posted: 12/01/10
12:17 PM

Help i have a 110 four wheeler china cant get it to idle. I have cleaned carb twice and every part is very clean. if you get going it will run good but as soon as u stop it dies. Anyone know whats going on. and maybe i have the set screws set wrong. Please help.  

scvmjl scvmjl
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/03/10
07:17 PM

I'll join in on the frustration with these Chi-com ATV's. Thought I got a deal last summer when I bought three for $1500. My boys rode them for two weeks before they started falling apart. Nuts falling off of steering and rear axles. Batteries, spark plugs, coils replaced. All after just three weeks. The 110 threw a rod after 15 hours. I changed the oil when I got them so not that. Right now I'm waiting on a new bolt to hold the rear suspension together on a 125. The nut fell off that one when my son was riding and when the bolt slid out it torqued and bent the bolt. Nice... Also dealing with chains flying off and tearing up sprocket housings. That happened on the 150 and the 125. Everyone of these ATV's have had issues. Looking for an engine for the 110 now that won't cost me as much as I bought it for. Any ideas?  Frown  

RifRaff013 RifRaff013
Posted: 12/13/10
11:42 AM

I have a 110cc tao tao youth ATV i can part out if you would like. let me know what you need.  Thanks! I am in Kentucky.  

Brian0202 Brian0202
Posted: 12/19/10
04:28 PM

I just bought a 110cc for my son it was used and was running when parked i bought new battery and plug. it turns over but will not start. dont think i am getting spark at plug. also choke cable is kind of messed up. ANY Help  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/20/10
06:23 PM

check to see if it is in fact getting spark.
remove the spark plug, place the spark plug in the spark plug boot. lay the metal of the spark plug against the metal of the engine and turn the engine over.(do not hold the spark plug... you'll get zapped. if it is sparking.)

watch while the engine is turning over to see if it is sparking at the plugs' electrode.

if you have spark, place the spark plug back into the head, and go to the carburetor.
on the bottom of the carburetor there is a bowl. on this bowl there is a screw. loosen the screw and see if fuel is coming out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the bowl.
if so pull the choke and hold the throttle wide open and turn the engine over for a few seconds (after retightening the overflow screw...)
remove the spark plug and see if it is wet from fuel.
if not then remove the carburetor and then remove the bowl.
then using a small pocket screwdriver, carefully... remove the pilot jet. (the smallest of the two jets and not the one the needle is running through)

look through the pilot jet once you have it out. see if it is clogged or you can see through it.

if not use a .10 guitar string, or a wire bread tie with the plastic coating removed to run through the pilot jet to clean it out.

reinstall the pilot jet, then bowl and finally the carburetor.

again try starting it.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

brianroberts brianroberts
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/13/11
03:28 PM

try turning up the tick over screw in a little bit that might help  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 01/17/11
08:32 PM

check for spark, and make sure it is getting fuel.

we dont know where to start without knowing whether it is getting fuel and spark.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....