Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Linhai/Manco Talon 260: Need some questions answered. Running rough

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Linhai/Manco Talon 260: Need some questions answered. Running rough

cmmatthewsmm cmmatthewsmm
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 05/06/10
08:05 PM

I will get it out of the way.  Yeah, Yeah...should have gone with a name brand model...yada yada yada......

I was given (FREE)a 2004 Manco Talon (aka Linhai)recently.  I was told the engine had seized it was put up in the barn for a couple years. I did a little review of the paperwork that it came with and learned this particular quad was purchased at Tractor Supply Company.  I went to the local TSC and they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked out servicing the ATV.

Upon looking at it I noticed the chassis and body were identical to my Polaris Xpress. I brought it home and took the body off it to begin troubleshooting.
I put a new battery on it and the starter made a click and got warm- i figured either the engine was locked up or the starter was in a bind.  So, I decided to see if I could turn the engine by hand.  I took off the clutch cover and discovered the centrifugal clutch had exploded and sent one of the springs into the flywheel-wedging it against the case, thus preventing the crank from rotating.  I took off both pulleys, the belt and removed the debris from the clutch.  I hit the starter button and the engine spun free!  I immediately pulled the sparkplug to see if there was spark and there was.  I checked the oil- full of gas. I assumed someone left the petcock on and fuel drained into the case.  I changed the oil.  I put some fresh gas in it and after a few moments it roared to life. I replaced the clutch and thought I was close to victory (ha!).

I can get it to start.  It will not hold idle.  I have to keep holding the throttle down for it to run-poorly.  I have pulled the carb off three seperate times, disassembled and cleaned it completely (with welding tip cleaners and carb cleaner).  It has not made any difference.  It still runs like crap.  I changed the spark plug- it was black and wet.  The carb has an autochoke, when I unplug it-there is no difference.  There are two electrical leads on the bottom of the carb I have no idea what they go to.  I have checked online manuals and even called an "authorized service center", they can't shed any light on what they are.  The only thing the service center has told me is that the Manco/Linhai ATV's are constantly in their shop for carb problems and they charge $70/hr for labor. I really would rather fix this myself instead of paying these guys as much as they badmouthed them.

I noticed there is a fuel pump on this model.  I was wondering if it would be possible to just replace the carb with a gravity feed manual choke model and bypass the fuel pump?  If so, what about the two connections on the bottom of the carb- what are they and are they necessary?

I know Linhai is partially owned by Yamaha and make some of their small displacement motors- are the parts interchangeable between a Linhai and a Yamaha?

I have worked on a few of the Chinese ATV's and know I can get a 250-300cc carb for about $40 new.  I was quoted over $400 for the linhai unit.

Any suggestions?  

bullet_6_1992 bullet_6_1992
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/11/10
05:13 AM

I dont know about you but i have the same problem with my manco talcon to. and i went through and replaced all the seals and all the gaskets and put it all tougther and now i cant quiet seem to rember how the fuel lines all get hooked up. so do u think that you would do me a favor and send some pictures of where all the fuel lines run to. cause then if it runs and runs good i can write you a post and tell you if the seals and gaskets worked to fix it or not. if you can send me some pictures my email address is. Bullet_6_1992@yahoo.com. Thanks.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 05/11/10
07:22 PM

personally i would try to replace the carb with a better one.

jetting is the main issue, so i would go with something you can get jets for fairly easy.

something from a suzuki ltz250  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Posted: 05/12/10
06:36 PM

What carb would you suggest?  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 05/14/10
09:47 PM

there are several but the one they used on the suzuki ltz250 would work, also the keihin 34mm pj model would work well on it.

though a bit pricey and any carb you use willhave to be rejetted for the 250cc  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

Posted: 05/16/10
10:34 AM

any idea what the two electrical connections are on the bottom of the carb body?  I have looked through several versions of manuals, with no answers.  

tsshr.14fan tsshr.14fan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/26/10
04:26 PM

Did you put any fuel treatment in the gas? We have the same one.We had what sounds like the same problem (runs like crap even with giving it throttle) we put in marine sta-bil(it takes the water out of the gas)and rode it for about 20 minutes.So far no problems.I also have a Yamaha Wolverine and I also us marine sta-bil in it.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 08/29/10
07:14 AM

the wires on the bottom could be an over-rev switch, or even an overflow switch.which could be bad abnd causing this issue.  

Wolf Performance

jfm238 jfm238
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/14/11
12:07 PM

ok i know a lot of time has passed and you probably have already figured this out, but your problem is not the carb but the fuel pump/valve. it has a hole in the diaphragm and gas is running down the vacum line into the cyl. it will do this even while shut off, filling the cyl with gas and locking up the engine. u can buy a new pump from manco {big bucks}, buy a aftermarket vacum operated fuel pump,or if your handy, cut a new diaphragm from a inner tube but because of ethanol it wont last too long. to clear the engine lock up remove th 12 v wire from the coil,take the spark plug out,cover the hole with a shop rag and turn the engine over with the starter. you will probably find the crankcase is full of gas also so change the oil before u start it. this is a common problem and i have seen several of these cases. good luck Grin  

kidsatvparts kidsatvparts
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/05/11
01:08 PM

All you have to do just replace the choke. It does not make a difference when you unplug the choke, so that means the choke is not working at all. Or maybe jfm is right. The fuel punp needs to be replaced.  
Most of the Chinese parts can be found at:
www.kidsatvparts.com

fostert_2011 fostert_2011
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/20/11
04:45 PM

I have the same problem and found that I had the choke seat in reverse. Now it idles fine but can't accelerate without flooding the carb. Could this have to do something with the needle jet? I disassembled and cleaned the carb. Any suggestions?  

MrReese MrReese
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/17/12
07:38 PM

Im having the same problems with mine. But I can shed some light on the wires on the bottom of the carb. That is actually a fuel warmer for cold weather starts. Just learned that one today from an atv repair shop lol. I never knew the suzuki 250 carbs were interchangable and I have a spare one to try out  Grin I just put a rebuild kit in my carb and I'll make sure to let yall know how it goes.  

jessieherrera jessieherrera
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/06/12
06:37 AM

Hello,
 You may solve the problem by putting a smaller needle and seat assembly in it.
 Mikuni has always been a good carb. There are many available on EBay at reasonable prices. The only thing to be concerned with of course is the dimensions. You may alsao have to re-jet. It is wise to stay close to the stock size as a much larger size can require extensive jetting changes. Usually, when a vehicle has an electric fuel pump there is a smaller valve seat in the carburetor float bowl. The non-electric pump vehicles have a larger valve seat assembly. By putting on a Mikuni you obviously have extiguished the problem of using an electric fuel pump.
 The only time that I needed an electric fuel pump on a smaller engine is when I turbo charged my old Kawasaki 1000 and was running 21 pounds of boost. I needed the fuel pump to keep the bowl full. It was a Cater adjustable automotive fuel pump. I also had to drill out the petcock a lot to keep the fuel flowing enough. This was obviously at high RPMs or full throttle.
Good luck.  

CookiemanPf CookiemanPf
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 06/17/13
01:43 PM

I was wondering what carb you put on it to fix the rough running quad ? What jets are in the carb ?

I'm asking cause I have the same problems with my 260 , hard starting , won't stay running , and constantly hydrolocks , sending fuel into cylinder ..

I'm thinking maybe that Keihin 34mm carb would be better. ? Please let me know , thank you