Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Going a little bigger with TRX 300 4x4 Tires? Need some advice please!

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Going a little bigger with TRX 300 4x4 Tires? Need some advice please!

TheCaptainJim TheCaptainJim
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/07/10
01:12 PM

Kind of new to this atv thing, use the atv mostly for ice fishing/hunting-deer, waterfowl, upland, and training pointers (planting birds), and recently helping put in some food plots.

After getting hung up a few times in the snow last season, I decided to try chains on all four. Boy what a difference! I have installed 2" of lift to give me a bit more bottom clearance, and am going to use wheel spacers, just to help with stability.

My questions are as follows, with the stock tires on the front being 23x8x11, and rear being 24x9x11 (1997 model), I am thinking I would like to upsize just a bit when I need tires. 1) Is moving to 24x9x11 on the front, and 25x10x11 on the rear going to work?  2) Is staying 1" different going to be the right way to go without any gear ratio problems?  3) Is 1" wider front and rear going to work ok on stock rims? Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences you can share!  Jim  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 06/07/10
03:44 PM

i dont think you'll have a problem, what year is your 300?

usually if you go extreme with the trx300 fourtrax you lose too much low end power.

usually the old trx300 fourtrax has a sl gear (super low)
if yours has this it should climb a tree.

if not i still dont think 1 inch larger front and rear will hurt you.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Posted: 06/08/10
05:25 AM

Sorry Wolf, I have a 97, in great shape, totally babied! Bought it from a close friend, who hunts and trains dogs with me. Been using his machine for 4-5 years, and I was maintaining it for him all this time. So, I knew what I was getting at least. Cool  Now that it's mine, setting it up for my needs a bit more. It does have the Super Low, or as I call it, "Granny Gear", and yes, way low!

I don't want to go overboard as I am pulling a disk and drag, and a tag-along full of decoys in the winter. Do I just need to keep with the 1" front to rear difference? I don't want to screw up the front to rear ratio, tear up tires, or negatively impact steering or control?

Thanks for your reply and advice!

Jim  

wolf1 wolf1
08:33 AM

possible

the 1 inch difference in the front tires os for two reason.

1 for balancing the atv and the second is for tire clearance at the a-arms and control arms.

main thing to wory about is if you go with the same size tire isn the front is that it clears control arms at the a-arms and frame so that you have good steering and that the tires aren't hitting anywhere in steering.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

07:29 PM

Right on Wolf.

I just added 2" on each corner with wheel spacers. Plenty of room to go 1" taller, and 1" wider. Think I'll do that when I need tires. Anything beyond that e'll leave for the 3000# winch. Wink

Thanks again for your replies.

Jim  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 06/09/10
12:57 AM

welcome glad to help  

Wolf Performance

channelseven channelseven
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/30/10
05:53 PM

i put tires and wheels on my 300 and went with a 12' wheel and 25' tires and it clears just fine. The tire selection is not that great with the 11' wheel and tire.

bought the complete set from DWT and they work and look grest.
Check out there web site dwtracing.com   they have some really nice stuff.  

BigTy5427 BigTy5427
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 09/11/10
06:46 PM

i would say go with vampires man. They give great traction. Mudlites just do nothing when you want them too. They maybe light but they want get you out of a big bind