Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

HELP NO SPARK, Chinese ATV w/ 5 pin CDI

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

HELP NO SPARK, Chinese ATV w/ 5 pin CDI

NathanH1991 NathanH1991
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/22/10
06:58 PM

Hello,

I am kind of new to this whole posting thing because all I used to do was reading the posts so I never registered. But I can't seem to find an answer to my problem so I have chosen to be a registered user.

So I got a Roketa 110cc china quad. I have no spark. I've got a lot of swapable parts since we have (3) of these dang ATV's. I know alot about the electrical system already and have a variety of good tools to choose from. If I hold the spark plug to a good ground and crank the engine I have no spark. Then, I can take the blk/wht wire out from the CDI module and crank engine, STILL NO SPARK. So I probably don't have a kill switch problem. I measured the AV volts coming from the coil under the flywheel (blk/red wire) while cranking and it will get up to about 56 VAC. I tested the pick up/trigger coil on DC and AC volts while cranking and I get 0.00 SOMETIMES 0.01 VAC. Arent I supposed to have about 0.05VAC? I tested the wire from CDI module to ignition coil (blk/y) and got nothing on either AC or DC volts. I think I have a good ground at the CDI module (solid green) to the battery (-/negative terminal) measures out to be 0.02 ohms resistance.

Help! I don't know what to do now and I still have no spark. Any advice is thankful.  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 03/23/10
08:50 PM

You should have 0.00 ohms on the green ground wire to negative terminal on battery. The 110 Panther I was testing the ground resistance was off, took the stator assembly off and only a single strand of the ground was connected. I stripped the ground wire near the stator reconnected it and gained a little on the volts on the black with red wire and the light blue wire(trigger coil on this model). You might want to check that out.  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 03/24/10
05:02 AM

cool, sounds like good advice.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

dayhotc dayhotc
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/22/10
07:16 PM

I have a roketa 110 i purchased for my son.  It needed a new wiring harness, so I purchased one and tried to put it on.  I don't have much experience with these type of atvs.  Would anyone have a few pictures or be able to explain where the wires go?  Please help  

gungatim gungatim
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/19/10
10:26 AM

There are some good wiring diagrams on hooperimport.com you can download, also most honda wiring diagrams from late'70's - mid-80's are the same.

black/wht is kill switch, blk/yel is coil, blk/red is stator power, blu/wht and grn are the pulse trigger.

you can't test the pulse on volts, need to check with resistance, it is just a small pickup coil, same with stator, check resistance to make sure it is grounded and no shorts.  there are checks between pins on the CDI box you can do, check honda service manuals for the values, but I ususally just pull one off another bike/quad to test.  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 05/19/10
07:07 PM

I had forgoten this thread. I seen this same question from Nathan1991 on another forum.

He stated: "I have no idea what I did, but I took 30 minutes and carefully cleaned up the inside of the stator cover and sanded all grounding spots. I also removed all the metal particles attracted to the pickup magnet. After that, I hooked everything back up and got erractic voltage going to the igntion coil! I was so relieved to see the fat blue spark again. It teased me for a while and wouldn't spark. Frustrated, the only thing I thought to do was make the connection 100% at the CDI module by cleaning and bending the prongs. After that everything was okay. I also verified all my spare parts were effective so this has turned out good."

Thought this might help someone if needed. Cool  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK