Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

1999 polaris scrambler 400

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

1999 polaris scrambler 400

dirtyred2 dirtyred2
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/13/10
01:56 PM

OK! im pissed at this point in the game! I have a 1999 scrambler 400. 2 stroke.the oil light is staying on and it wont run at all. I mean not even a hiccup.I have to pull start. I have fire coming from the ignition coil but no fire to the plug. Have replaced the boot on the wire but still no constant fire to the plug. I am at a loss at this point. I have 75 lbs of compression on the jugg and i know i have spark sometimes because it knocked me off my feet when I held the wire and have tryed starting fluid. Someone please help... Confused  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
02:16 PM

75 psi in compression???  did you hold the throttle wide open when you checked the compression?

75 psi is waaaay too low for it to run.

on the spark issue i would remove the right side cover, remove the magneto and clean the contacts on the stator.  polaris designed all of their atv's to allow dirt and water into the stator which means it rusts on ya.  use fine sandpaper to clean the rust off, and then use silicon to seal up the side cover so water will not get in there.

on the compression, if you got 75 psi holding the throttle wide open to check it then i would definately purchase a new set of rings and have the cylinder honed.

have a customer with the same compression problem, am in the process of honing the cylinder and replacing his rings for him.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

dirtyred2 dirtyred2
02:43 PM

I just had the jugg redone rings and all. Well i rode it for two weeks mixing a little oil in the gas as well as running the oil pump and tank and when it died it just quit in the middle of the path and the oil light came on and it wouldnt run after thatIt didnt lock up cause i tryed to pull it and it pulls hard like the jugg is tight. I had it bored and oversized rings put in 1 year ago and i rode it two weeks after i got it back  

wolf1 wolf1
02:52 PM

if the oil light is on the premixer pump may have gone out on it.
if that happened it could burn the rings up in a hurry.

hopefully not, the premixer pump runs on a plastic gear, and i have seen those break.

check the premixer botle make sure it has enough 2 cycle oil in there if you haven't already.
if so then most likely the light is on because the premixer isn't pumping, or level sensor in the bottle is bad.

personally i advise all my customers to run 32:1 fuel mixture in their tank and eliminate the premixer pump all together.

if the lines get clogged you wont know until it is too late, and if the pump gear breaks sometimes the light doesn't come on for a while.

meaning usually your rings are shot at the least.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

dirtyred2 dirtyred2
03:03 PM

But even with only 75lbs of compression wouldnt it at lest try to hit with starting fluid? I do have oil mixed with the gas in the tank because the cylinder had just been bored and i wanted to be sure not to lock it up again. I cant even get a hit with starting fluid.  

wolf1 wolf1
03:15 PM

75 psi is really way too low.

when you consider a 250cc polaris trailboss needs between 115 and 125 psi to run.
that 400cc scrambler will need a good deal more.

i would say it would need around 135-145 psi to run properly.

what you can try to do is remove the pvt clutch cover and using a socket and a drill running in reverse try to spin start it that way, pumping the gas.  it may force it to start, but the rings are only going to get worse.

and if it starts with a drill and socket then you know it needs new rings.  

Wolf Performance

dirtyred2 dirtyred2
03:20 PM

Thanx. Man I'll give it a shot. So let me get this straight. If I turn it over backwards it might force it to run?  

wolf1 wolf1
03:25 PM

it's not turning over backwards
running the drill in reverse turns it the right direction being the pvt clutch is
on the left side.

using a drill and a socket allows you to turn it faster than the starter would sometimes forcing it to start.
but once it starts it wont want to stay running at idle.  

Wolf Performance