Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

My 97 wolverine is backfiring

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

My 97 wolverine is backfiring

Sonja7 Sonja7
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/08/10
02:47 PM

I have a 1997 wolverine that backfires as soon as I give it gas and shuts off but idels perfect. I have cleaned the carb and that dosen't seem to be the problem. Could it be electrical? Please help me.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
03:29 PM

have you added any modifications to it? exhaust, ndew rings? it sounds as though the carb could use a little adjustment at the fuel mixture screw.
also inspect the intake boot for cracks or leaks.

sorry for any typo's on pain meds and having a migraine...darn being sick!!!!  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Sonja7 Sonja7
06:38 PM

No, no modifications have been done, carb has been cleaned and put back on and there are no cracks or leaks in the intake boot. Could it be an electronic part like the ECM? I was told that it could be that!!!! it's backfiring through the exhaust not the carb. It's acting like the timing is off....if it had one. Getting a misty spray from carb and when I give it gas and backfires through exhaust and shuts off. Can the ECM and or coil be removed and checked to see if it's ok ?

Gotta watch those meds, can make you do funny things Wink  

RUBBER SIDE DOWN....ha ha that's funny you say that, just had the rubber lookin to the sky not to long ago, could have used some of those meds. Wink  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 04/09/10
07:20 AM

the 97 yamaha wolverine 350 should be a 4cycle single overhead cam...

it does have a timing chain... i would definately check the timing.

pain meds are nice...but they sure can fog you up At times lol  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Sonja7 Sonja7
Posted: 04/20/10
04:56 PM

OK I still need help. I put piston @ TDC compression stroke , cam gear mark @ 12oclock on head and it's still backfiring through the exhaust but idals perfect. Can it be electrical? Maybe the ECM ? Have called all kinds of dealers to ask them but all they say is "bring it in" want to do this myself. Thanks.  

DPenhead DPenhead
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/25/10
03:31 PM

I've run into this before. Try looking at the cam return spring on the top end. If it breaks, it doesn't allow the timing to advance when giving it gas. It's most noticeable when driving it and doesn't run bad when idling. Easy fix, if that's it.  

daksjr daksjr
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/11/10
06:14 PM

Check the emergency brake. Their is a switch on it to prevent driving while the brake is on.  This happened to me. Try wiggling the emergency brake cable, sometimes that works.  

chowda41 chowda41
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/26/10
02:42 PM

I am having this same problem. Can you tell me where to find the fuel mixture screw  

SAYITISNTSO SAYITISNTSO
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 05/19/12
06:50 PM

WHERE IS THE CAM RETURN SPRING LOCATED AT?(ON THE TOP END)