Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 ho efi problems

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 ho efi problems

jmoore88 jmoore88
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/07/10
02:46 AM

Was riding trails an water all day nothing out of ordinary, an as i am crossing some deeper water it sputters a little like it got a little water... well as i keep going i have to give it half to full throttle to even barely move the when i let off it dies an hasnt cranked since.. pulled plug, air filter , little water in airbox, hardly if any in engine... sounds like it lost compression when trying to start? no water in oil? Any Ideas? Thanks.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
05:09 AM

had a friend with a kawasaki 600 efi.
wouldn't run and he didn't have a clue why.
went and checked on it for him and he had water in the tank..which also meant water in the injectors.
injectors really dont like water.

cleaned out the tank and turned the engine over a bit and it came back... he was lucky.

check your compression, getting water in your engine can cause many things.
if it gets in the cylinder it can destroy the rings and even the piston.

if it got into the airbox then definately it got into the cylinder.

if your compression is good, try removing the tank and the air filter boot(s)

feed it a little fuel using a different sealed bottle and turn the engine over to help clean out the injectors.

i used to purchase a chalk container at lowes.(the ones used for a chalk line)
to feed fuel this way.  the tapered outlet on the cap allows you to insert it easily into the fuel line and seal off temporarily while trying to purge the water from the injectors.

next time if you are in water and it is trying to die it's usually better to kill the engine yourself and not let the engine kill itself comletely by drawing in water.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

jmoore88 jmoore88
12:41 PM

thanks ... would you happen to know wut the psi should be on the compression test... and if it is needing a rebuild is there any big bore kits available something for a lil more power?  

wolf1 wolf1
04:51 PM

check with cylinder works for a big bore kit, http://www.cylinder-works.com/

off hand i dont have the compression numbers, but you should be able to contact polaris at the service or parts dept. and they should tell you.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

jmoore88 jmoore88
10:07 PM

They didnt offer anything for polaris? ... checked the compression, it was about 28 so i will be tearing into it my next day off... any other ideas on a kit ? even if it is a standard... i work on logging equipment so this is kinda new for me... thanks for the help  

wolf1 wolf1
10:48 PM

usually you can have the cylinder bored if necessary for around 50.00

should go up in .20, .40, .60 overbores, and you can buy a piston kit for the size you overbore it.

but check your cylinder to see if it needs to be bored.
you may be able to get away with just honing it and putting in a new set of rings. if you are wanting extra horsepower it looks like you'll have to bore it out.
i haven't seen a big bore kit for 500 sportsman yet.

but yeah 28 psi is super low in compression.

wiseco does offer overbore pistons for the sportman 500

i would probably go with .40 over myself.

it would be a noticeable difference in power whereas a .20 over would barely be noticeable.

here's a very important tip though. before removing the cylinder and head set the engine at top dead center, remove the valve cover gasket and use 2 plastic wireties to strap the timing chain to the gear before you remove it.  this will help you get it back in time easier.  with the chaqin tiestrapped to the cam gear you will know the timing is right at the cam gear.
then when you slide the cylinder off and back on, be gentle so the piston does not move causing the crank to move. then all you do when it goes back together is reinstall the piston and rings, and carefullly slide the cylinder back on, and the head and rebolt the cam gear back to the head.

if not the crank could move and you will have to work harder to get the cam back in time with the crank.  

Wolf Performance

jmoore88 jmoore88
Posted: 03/08/10
03:09 AM

Ya i found wiseco probably gonna just go with them... hopefully valves arent bent... another question is with boreing over is there any need to re map the system? wiseco has fuel management system, would that be a good investment? Thanks for the info on breaking it down. On the sizes it goes from Std to .50mm to 1.00mm... would it be safe to go with either of the over sizes?  

wolf1 wolf1
06:12 AM

i dont believe so on the mapping, but wiseco would make an improvement.

when boring one out you dont want to go with the largest.  you want to be able to bore it again if necessary so you dont have to pay for a new cylinder if the rings come apart or the piston skirt breaks and scars the cylinder.

so i would go with the .50 and have room to go 1.00 later if needed.

use www.rjatv.com for the parts you need he has good prices and fast shipping
tell him Ben with wolf performance sent you  

Wolf Performance

jmoore88 jmoore88
02:52 PM

ok thanks for all the information...  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 03/10/10
10:22 AM

welcome friend, let me know how it comes out.

if you need more help dont hesitate to ask.

Ben
Wolf Performance  

Wolf Performance