Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

110cc-coolster-not-getting-spark

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

110cc-coolster-not-getting-spark

Jaybo Jaybo
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/05/09
02:25 PM

I know its been posted before but cant find it now. What has happened rear axle bracket broke had someone weld it back now no spark. Had no power to cdi, jump connectors to by pass remote kill system still nothing replaced cdi still no spar checked ac ignition power 0 (a/c volts), check ohms 0 ,trigger wire 135 ohms. any help on finding earlier forum or just any guidance would be thankful.  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
User | Posts: 122 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/06/09
08:42 AM

Lets back up a bit to see if we are on the same page.  Is this a picture of your CDI?

50Cc Cdi

When you measured the AC power to the CDI did you measure it on the CDI wiring harness connector with the CDI unplugged and the engine cranking?  

When you measured the AC power winding resistance to ground (using the same pin on the CDI connector above) you really got zero ohms?  If so that is wrong.  It should be around 450 ohms.  Follow the wires out of of the stator and unplug them down there from the main wiring harness.  Now measure the AC power winding resistance again right at the stator wires.  If it is still zero then you have a short in the stator.  If it now reads correct then you have a pinched wire (or a burned through wire since you've been welding).

The trigger wire resistance sounds OK.  A better test would be to measure its output voltage while cranking the engine.  It should be 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC to ground.  It is actually a series of +/- 5 volt high pulses, but they are narrow and happen relatively infrequently compared to the pulse width so your meter averages then to a much lower value.  Different meters average this differently, but you should measure something.

Are you sure that the kill switch wiring is OK?  When you turn on the ignition and disable all kill switches the Kill Switch pin on the CDI wiring harness should meaure open (infinite resistance) to engine ground.  If it reads shorted to ground (zero ohms) then you have a kill switch problem.  

Jaybo Jaybo
Posted: 09/06/09
01:00 PM

Yes it is this CDI

Yes the CDI was disconnected and i test the harness for power none found, i check power while cranking motor also check resistance cranking and not cranking. Tommorow i will check it from stator harness (off to inlaws for dinner) Since i know nothing about atv electrial i cut harness open to trace wires have not found any melted or rubbed throu to ground. i will double check kill switch again just to make sure and test trigger voltage.

Thanks i'll let you know tommorow what i find.  

Jaybo Jaybo
Posted: 09/07/09
06:13 AM

Trigger wire .26 a/c volts at stator harness 0 a/c volts, kill switch and alarm hooked up and disconnect open circuits 6.5 ohms when kill switch is turned on. I'll guess i will order the stator then retest. i will keep you informed.  Thanks  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
Posted: 09/07/09
05:06 PM

Before you order the stator you might want to inspect the one you have.  Since you measure zero ohms and zero volts you have a short somewhere in the wiring to the ignition AC power coil.  Once you get the stator out it may be obvious and easy to fix.  

Jaybo Jaybo
Posted: 09/12/09
11:47 AM

Pulled stator off did not see any shorted wires, looked oline for stator have not found any with the same harness end. Is it a case you have to splice them to your old harness end connector?  

Jaybo Jaybo
Posted: 09/26/09
06:00 PM

Replaced stator only to find have 45 volts ac - 400 ohms the trigger is .15 volts ac and open ohms all while cranking if i put the old stator back on i get a good trigger signal. any thoughts? still no spark  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
Posted: 09/28/09
10:38 PM

I'm confused.  The stator windings can only measured for resistance in ohms while the engine is stopped.  When the engine is turning the stator is producing AC voltage which is going to confuse the heck out of the meter when set to measure ohms.

45 volts AC on the ignition power pin is low.  Is your starter crank speed low?  The two are directly proportional.  

So what are the resistances of the power and trigger windings with the engine stopped?  

Jaybo Jaybo
Posted: 09/29/09
10:08 AM

Im sorry what i wanted to say is i did check ac while cranking and the ohms while stoped the stator is 400 ohms and the trigger is open. The starter speed seems normal to me i have a charger on the battery while i'm turning the engine over.  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
Posted: 09/29/09
09:34 PM

An open trigger connection won't work.  You seem to have bad luck with stators.  The first one had a shorted power winding, and the second one has an open trigger pickup coil.  Neither one is going to give you spark.

Be sure to check the connector between the stator and the wiring harness to make sure the trigger coil isn't getting disconnected there.

Can you swap parts between the stators to make one working stator?  Maybe take the trigger coil off the old one and put it on the new one perhaps?

45 volts is low - I've always measured higher - but at the same time I don't see why it wouldn't work.  In another thread someone reported getting 55 volts.  I lowered my cranking speed by adding a 20 foot length of 12 gauge wire in series with the starter till my atator output was 55 volts cranking (instead of 80 volts).  It started right up.  I just don't know what the lower limit is.

But certainly having an open trigger winding won't work.  I'd start there...  

Jaybo Jaybo
Posted: 08/15/10
10:34 AM

Swapped out triggers this what i have now.Trigger 134 ohms - .15 to .2v ac. AC ignition 41v - .38 k ohms. Kill switch ol ohms.Ground wire .7 to .8 ohms. coil 1.1 ohms. With CDI plugged in coil has 23 volts. Still no spark. I have a battery charger on while i do the test with the spark plug removed so to lower the resistance and to have a high turn over speed. For giggles i have unpluged alarm and did test along with it pluged in no differance. Parts replaced so far CDI, Ignition switch, 2 stators with swapping trigger sender.