Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

1997 bayou 220 miss firing

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

1997 bayou 220 miss firing

cooter9j cooter9j
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/31/09
07:46 PM

Hey please help I've got a 1997 Bayou 220 and at 1/2 throttle or more it starts to cutout on me. I have replaced the coil, removed the head, had the valves cut, & tested stator and everything tests good. But it still runs rough at 1/2 throttle please help me out here I cannot figure this out.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 08/02/09
08:08 AM

have you checked the jets in the carb??? cutting out is a sign that it is running too lean,  first check to make sure the jets are clean by using a wire bread tie with the plastic coating melted off, run through the jets, put carb back on and see if it clears up?

if not then try turning the fuel/air mixture screw to the left 1/4-1/2 turn

if it doesn't straighten out or get a little better, then chances are you problem is in the cdi, or timing.  but also inspect your intake boot for cracks or holes or wear.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

cooter9j cooter9j
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 08/02/09
09:17 PM

Icon Quotewolf1:
have you checked the jets in the carb??? cutting out is a sign that it is running too lean,  first check to make sure the jets are clean by using a wire bread tie with the plastic coating melted off, run through the jets, put carb back on and see if it clears up?

if not then try turning the fuel/air mixture screw to the left 1/4-1/2 turn

if it doesn't straighten out or get a little better, then chances are you problem is in the cdi, or timing.  but also inspect your intake boot for cracks or holes or wear.

Hey I rebuilt the carb, replaced the intake boot, hooked up the timing light, and had a noticeable miss with the timing light flash. Timing is on though so I guess the cdi box then? Do you have any idea where the best place is to buy used parts is?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 08/04/09
10:13 PM

ebay  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Johnstw Johnstw
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/10/09
03:26 PM

call me Captain Obvious, but did you replace the spark plug? That's where I've had problems with the Bayou.