Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO- SOMETHING WRONG!

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO- SOMETHING WRONG!

yngk2005 yngk2005
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/07/09
01:16 PM

Ok, here's the deal. I pressure washed it to clean it throughly. I then removed the starter because the starter has been dead for a while (dummy me, I did not remove or disconnect the battery). Well, in the mean time, I replace the spark plug. I then took the battery off and recharged it.

When I got my starter back from rebuild, I put it back in. I placed the battery back in and placed all parts I took apart back on. I go to turn the key, I got NOTHING!! Go to pull start it in hopes it turns on, nothing!!!!

I have no lights, no clicks, no odometer show up, absolutely nothing. I don't even get a click when you turn the key on. I call my local Polaris shop and they send me to a parts guy after I asked for the service department (VERY NICE HUH!?) and he said there was no relays or fuses for the Polaris.

I know there's no fuses, but there's a black pouch, about 5 inches from the battery. I believe that to be the relay. How do you reset it? Did I do something wrong while taking the starter out? Did I blast something loose with a pressure washer? Help me out please!!  

yngk2005 yngk2005
Posted: 07/07/09
07:55 PM

I tried pull starting it; it starts. The odometer, lights, sometimes the Winch, happens to turn on after the unit runs. I turn the ATV off and can no longer turn the lights on after it's , it's like an automatic shut off switch with the key. Electrical problems? Relay Switch?  :confused Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  

ATOMANT ATOMANT
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 07/08/09
10:15 PM

It appears there is a couple of circut breakers in the wiring harness. One is for the fan and the other has no description but it must be for everything else. You probably have a bad circut breaker. Use a test light to find the problem.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 07/12/09
07:23 AM

sounds like a short to me, check all of your connections, the polaris should have a couple relays inside the pouch, and once you get them out it should be obvious how to reset them.

the old days the fuses were under the front hood.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

yngk2005 yngk2005
Posted: 07/14/09
10:33 PM

Im not an ATV junkie but how do you reset the relays. I see at about 5" from the battery, there's a black pouch, is that the relay switch? Confused