Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

MY atv (chinese made) 4 wheeler, will not start

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  Next Page   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

MY atv (chinese made) 4 wheeler, will not start

Bob123 Bob123
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/26/09
08:15 AM

MY atv (chinese made) 4 wheeler, will not start. I squeeze the brake lever and push the start button and it just does nothing. The Lights on the ATV works. If I jump the solonoid, the engine cranks, but there is no spark. I took the spark plug out and tested with a screwdriver instead of the spark plug and there was no spark.  What could be the problem?  

atv001 atv001
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/27/09
04:40 AM

I have the same issue  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
05:09 AM

check the coil with an ohm meter  one lead of the meter in the spark plug cap and one on the other wire. you should be getting between 13 7 15 ohms.

also check the main fuse, and the start switch.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

atv001 atv001
05:36 AM

The main fuse is good.

I will check coil.  Do you think the the issue with the start button not cranking the engine and no spark from the spark plug are related? Or are there two separate issues?

thanks for help  

pasguamie pasguamie
05:54 PM

HI,
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH ATV. WILL NOT START BUT WITH MINE I PUSH ON THE START BUTTON AND THERE IS A CONTINUOUS CLICKING NOISE IN ONE OF THE RELAY BOX UNDERNEATH THE GAS TANK. BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED, RODE IT A DAY AGO.. ANY CLUES?

THANKS!  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
User | Posts: 122 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 08/29/09
04:57 PM

Icon Quotepasguamie:
HI,
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH ATV. WILL NOT START BUT WITH MINE I PUSH ON THE START BUTTON AND THERE IS A CONTINUOUS CLICKING NOISE IN ONE OF THE RELAY BOX UNDERNEATH THE GAS TANK. BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED, RODE IT A DAY AGO.. ANY CLUES?

THANKS!

Hi pasguamie:

I answered your pm first.  I thought I'd repeat it here so that others can benefit as well.

First find out what exactly is clicking.  It is probably the starter solenoid.  This is easy to indentify because the big heavy gauge wire from the battery goes straight to it, then on to the starter motor after that.

Assuming it is the starter solenoid doing the clicking, then it could be the battery.  Or it could be a bad connection.  Starters draw a lot of current.  The actuating circuitry that connects up the starter does *not* draw a lot of current.  If the battery can't put out enough current to run the starter (or a bad connection is limiting the current) then when you push the start button, the solenoid closes which hooks up the starter motor, the voltage collapses under the heavy load, the solenoid disengages because the voltage is too low, the battery voltage comes back up because it isn't loaded anymore, and the whole process repeats.  What you hear is the solenoid opening and closing rapidly which makes a clatter or buzzing sound.

To see if it is your battery, jump the quad to your car (be really careful with the polarity of the jumper cables).  If it starts then your battery is bad or discharged.  If it still chatters (buzzes) then look for bad connections at all joints and connections from the battery (+) terminal to the starter, and from the engine ground back to the battery (-) terminal.  After letting it buzz for a while quickly feel around for connections that get hot.  A hot connection is a bad connection.

If you still have problem that find yourself a voltmeter and we can go from there.  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
05:14 PM

Icon QuoteBob123:
MY atv (chinese made) 4 wheeler, will not start. I squeeze the brake lever and push the start button and it just does nothing. The Lights on the ATV works. If I jump the solonoid, the engine cranks, but there is no spark. I took the spark plug out and tested with a screwdriver instead of the spark plug and there was no spark.  What could be the problem?

When you press the start button do you hear a "click"?  If it goes "click" and the starter doesn't turn, and the starter turns when you jump across the big solenoid lugs, then your solenoid is bad.

If you don't hear a "click", when you turn on the igntion and squeaze the brake lever do you see your brake light come on?  The solenoid actuating coil has a safety interlock that won't let the quad start without the brake being applied.  It uses the brake switch to do the interlock.  By looking at the brake being on you are verifying that the main fuse, ignition switch, and brake switch are working.  If you don't see the brake light it isn't going to start (this is assuming you have a brake light - some of the small quads don't).

What size engine is this?  Do you know the brand?

Not getting spark is a whole separate issue and unrelated to the starter not turning.  I'm a little confused by your screwdriver test.  Normally you test spark by pulling the spark plug, hook it up, and hold the spark plug body against the engine case while cranking.  Then look for a spark across the plug gap.

If you indeed have no spark then the first test for this problem is to measure the kill switch wiring and see that is is not shorted to ground.  Most no spark problems are in this category.  After that the stator can be measured for proper output.

Do you have a voltmeter?  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
05:27 PM

Icon Quoteatv001:
The main fuse is good.

I will check coil.  Do you think the the issue with the start button not cranking the engine and no spark from the spark plug are related? Or are there two separate issues?

thanks for help

I'm confused.  If the starter isn't turning how would you know if you will get spark when the engine does turn?  Maybe you have a kick start?  Are you shorting across the starter solenoid like BOB123?

What size engine?  What brand?

Did you have to step on the brake to get it to start before?  If so see my post to BOB123 in this same thread.

Do you have a voltmeter? Finding why the starter doen't turn is easy with a voltmeter and a few simple measurements.  Most no spark problems are easy to diagnose with a voltmeter also.  You can buy them for under $10.00 these days.  

atv001 atv001
Posted: 08/30/09
11:03 AM

Yes I am shoring across the soleniod.  No "click" when the button is pushed.

Zhejiang Sanye Fuxin Motorcycle - Engine Type: 4-stroke, single cylinder, air cooled

I will check the brake light to see if it is working.  Should the black/white wire in the kill switch on the left handle bar have 12 volts when the ignition switch is turned on?  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
Posted: 08/30/09
08:41 PM

Re: Kill Switch Wire voltage:

For most CDI's there will be no voltage on this wire when the ignition is on and the engine is stopped.  And for most CDI's the voltage on this line will be high enough to knock you on your butt if the engine is running (or cranking with the kill switch(es) off).  I only have experience with the CDI's that are powered by a high voltage winding on the stator (most are this way).  A few newer quad are being powered by 12 volts DC.  These have a step up power supply inside to make the 100-300 volts needed to run the CDI.  In any case, the kill switch line should measure *open* (infinite resistance) to engine ground with the CDI unplugged, the ignition switch *on* and all the kill switches turned off.

Re the engine type/size:

I was not looking for such specific info.  I was more interested in something like 200cc Giovanni, or 150cc Hensim.  

RobWho RobWho
Posted: 08/31/09
04:47 AM

I also have a new zstar 110cc bike which will not start. Was working fine in morning, then tried to start it in afternoon and nothing happens when I hit the start button! The lights don't even go on! The battery is fine, it's like there is no power getting to the start button?

Does anyone have a fix for this???  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
Posted: 08/31/09
07:08 AM

Icon QuoteRobWho:
I also have a new zstar 110cc bike which will not start. Was working fine in morning, then tried to start it in afternoon and nothing happens when I hit the start button! The lights don't even go on! The battery is fine, it's like there is no power getting to the start button?

Does anyone have a fix for this???

Out of curiousity, how do you know the battery is fine?  One way to tell is to short the two big terminals together on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.  The starter solenoid is easy to find.  Just follow the big heavy wire from the battery plus terminal to the solenoid.  The other side of the solenoid has a big heavy wire which goes to the starter motor.  If the engine cranks at normal speed when you short those two solenoid terminals together then the battery is OK.  Don't mind a few sparks when you short these terminals - starters draw about 30 amps.

If you have no lights and the battery isn't completely dead then check the main fuse.  Also look very carefully at the ignition switch.  Turn on the headlights and fiddle with the switch while wiggling wires, etcetera.  If you don't see anything obvious then get yourself a voltmeter and we can go from there.  

atv001 atv001
Posted: 09/02/09
04:53 AM

I also checked my brake light and it does not work.  Usually I would have to step on the brake while starting the atv.  The tail light does work, but no brake light, the bulb is good (one bulb, two filaments). So to recap:

- when I turn on the kill switch, step on the brake and push the button, there is nothing (no click, the engine does not crank, no brake light)

- Jumping across the solonoid - the engine cranks, getting gas (new carb), no spark.

Pls help, I am about to push this thing off of a cliff.  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
08:24 AM

Icon Quoteatv001:
I also checked my brake light and it does not work.  Usually I would have to step on the brake while starting the atv.  The tail light does work, but no brake light, the bulb is good (one bulb, two filaments). So to recap:

- when I turn on the kill switch, step on the brake and push the button, there is nothing (no click, the engine does not crank, no brake light)

- Jumping across the solonoid - the engine cranks, getting gas (new carb), no spark.

Pls help, I am about to push this thing off of a cliff.

So you have two problems, the brake light interlock isn't working and you have no spark.  On the first problem you're 90% there.  It sounds like the brake switch is bad, misajusted, or the wires going to it are loose/broken.  I'm assuming it is a rear foot operated brake switch (you said you had to step on the brake).  That's mechanically linked to the brake lever (through a spring usually)so it should be easy to find and test with an ohmmeter/voltmeter. You could also short across the brake switch to see if the quad starts to crank with the start button.

For the no spark problem you realy do need to do need to measure the resistance of the kill switch wiring to ground.  about 75% of no spark problems have to do with kill switches and kill switch wiring.  The best place to measure the kill switch wiring is right at the CDI wiring harness.  You still haven't posted the engine size (150cc, 200cc, 110cc etc.) The engine size give a clue as to which CDI is being used so the kill switch pin can be identified.

If you don't have a meter then buy one.  They can be bought for under $10.  It is the right tool for the job, and there is no excuse to not have one when working on electrical problems.  

atv001 atv001
09:09 AM

its a 150cc.  I do have a meter.  what kind of readings should I be looking for when checking the resistance?

This atv have a handle bar brake and a right foot brake.  where / how should I go about testing for the brake light issue?

Thanks for all your help.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  Next Page   | Last