Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Polaris Predator 90 Major Problems

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Polaris Predator 90 Major Problems

mbrown2993 mbrown2993
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/06/09
06:20 PM

Hi all,
I feel like I got ripped off. Severely.  Mad  I bought a Predator 90 the May before last and it was brand new(2007).  I rode it for, at the most 50 hours.  I cleaned it regularly and kept it in my garage.  It was my first quad so I wanted to keep in top condition.  I didn't really ride it easy, and rode it through mud, but what kid wouldnt? It stopped running eventually and it always stalled out when i did get it running.  So its been in my garage for about 6 months now just sitting there and the nice weather made me wanna work on it.  The battery was dead so I charged it.  Didn't start.  Even the kick start feels real loose like there is no compression.  Tried cleaning the spark plug, and got nothin. It just won't start and I payed 3500 for it.  Down the drain.  Any hope I can salvage this piece of *** Confused

Someone please reply. ha  

Michealwall Michealwall
User | Posts: 135 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 06/06/09
07:04 PM

I have a 90 and we payed 2000 brand new at the dealer. It ran great the first summer, everyone rode the heck out of it. Put it away for the winter without draining the fuel and it would not run the following summer. I cleaned the carb real good and it worked like a charm. The next summer I winterized it, no problem. The next (witch is this year) I did nothing but park it. Most likely I will be cleaning the carb again.

1- Compression? remove plug and keep fuel off, turn engine over and plug the hole with rag, see if any air pushes the rag out. Dont put the rag into the hole, just to the threads. Ideally you would use compression tester Gauge. If the rag pops out there is compression ( how much, dont know ), compression good
2- you should make sure it is getting spark, spark is good.
3- fuel supplied to carb, good fuel
4- air supply to carb, remove filter and turn engine over. Feel if the air is sucking, clean the filter and put it back on

Bike should run with these things working: spark, fuel, air, and compression  
Heres my toys
YFZ450 "06" jet kit, zip tie mod, cam mod, sold
Raptor 350 "06" stock, sold
Predator 90 "06" stock, sold

ATOMANT ATOMANT
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/07/09
10:13 AM

It takes 4 things to make an internal combustion engine run. Fuel, air spark and compression. If you think the engine turns over too easy then you need to test compression. If you hold your finger over the plug hole and kick it over it should blow your finger off the hole. If you can hold the compression in with you finger theres something wrong with the motor and time to have a pro look at it.  

mbrown2993 mbrown2993
10:53 AM

I tried putting a rag in there, it didnt move it a bit.  I tried using the kick start and the electric start.  When I use the electric start, all i hear is like a faint clicking/grinding noise.  Even if my electric starter was bad couldn't i still start it with the kick start? How much do you think it would cost to get this fixed? I don't think this is a minor problem i can fix myself.  Ill try like hell but it seems like im screwed.  

ATOMANT ATOMANT
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 06/09
12:47 PM

Sounds to me like your battery is pooched. Take the battery right out and have it tested and charged. A bad battery can do exactly what your describing.  

Michealwall Michealwall
05:08 PM

Yea the battery should be tested. You can connect a meter to it and see what dc volts are there, then what I do is to put the meter on record a try to start the bike. If you don't have record then watch the meter to see if the volts drop below 9 volts. 9 volts is where we like to get rid of the battery. The best way to test is with load tester (take the battery out and bring it to autozone, pep boys, any of the parts houses will test for free. While at Pep Boys you can size up a new battery. If you want to jump start with little beast just jump like you would a car.

Kick starting with the limited throw of the kick starter is touch for a bike that does not want to start. My 90 will start with the kick starter but it is a pain. I just ordered a new battery for mine. About 40-50 bucks on the net delivered in 3 days.

If there is no compression then you have a serious problem. Don't give up on you quad it is a fun machine. I am 44 years old 180# and i like to ride it (when I'm not ripping up some dirt on my YFZ450. Keep in touch til she is running. We will try to help and maybe you can do the repairs yourself. All the info is in here, just keep asking.

Later  
Heres my toys

mbrown2993 mbrown2993
Posted: 06/08/09
10:25 AM

Thanks for all the info.  I have a battery charger but it is pretty old and it takes a good 4 hours to only charge it up to about 2 volts.  As you know it is a 12 volt battery.  Do you think I should just let it charge for about a full 24 hour day and then try it or do you think i'm better off to buy a new battery?  I'm not trying to burn the house down haha  

Michealwall Michealwall
Posted: 06/09/09
03:41 AM

Dude that battery is trassh. I throw away better. Any 12v battery will work for testing.  
Heres my toys

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 06/13/09
06:36 AM

first things first.. do you have spark at the plug, and are you getting fuel through the carburetor?

if no spark then it could be the stator or the coil.  if you rode it through alot of mud and water you may need to pull the magneto and clean any dirt or rust off the stator contacts and magneto contacts.

if no fuel in the cylinder you'll need to clean out the carburetor.  there is a carburetor cleaning 101 post under atv repair and maintenance.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Michealwall Michealwall
Posted: 06/25/09
04:38 PM

I took all of our quads out last weekend and the 90 stopped running within a 1/2 hour. I checked spark good, fuel in carb ok, compression fair (no gauge used). I put my hand our the carb and cranked the engine. I noticed that it would pull some air but it felt like it was pushing every so often. Back the bike up and started to check it out today. I found the head had lost one of the head nuts and blow the head gasket. Ordering new gasket in the morning.

I wanted to share this with you. I have read that the heads have to be torqued often.  
Heres my toys

rebel90 rebel90
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/06/10
05:41 PM

i got one when i was 8 lasted around 4 years of extremly light riding less than 100 hours but when i started to get a little ruffer the bearin g went out and the whole engine and every thing conected started wearing out rev limeter magneto carb etc. Confused  

austinsdad austinsdad
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/11/12
10:31 AM

I have the same problem as many others. It will start and idle fine but one thing that this one will do is once it warms up it will bog down and die out at 1/2 to full throttle. When it is cold everything seems ok. Oh by the way it is a 2001 model.  

jeepcraazy jeepcraazy
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 03/14/12
03:13 PM

austindad.go to page 2 of posts.(1 page previous)look under lengthy "help.polaris 90 problem"you will find the answer to your problem.mine still running strong 1 year after fix.  

Vtojason Vtojason
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/18/12
10:21 PM

Hey guys. . .

So here it is, I have a 04' Predator 90.
I'm very mechanical, have built many engines in my day, but for some reason this little GEM is getting on every last nerve I have.

It all started with a Small backfire when the kids would let off the Throttle, (Lean or Exhaust Leak). . . Fixed it Exhaust Leak!

Then it wouldn't start right away, it took some cranking every time.
     So I've done a TopEnd, Replaced the Carb. after cleaning the original Carb from Top to Bottom 3 times, replaced the Reeds, replaced the Stator, used a CDI box off of a running 90, used a Coil off of a running quad, swapped spark plugs, played with Carb adjustment, checked for adiquate fuel flow. . . YOU NAME IT. . .

Now the Quad starts fine (Right Away), idles good but when I Rev. the engine say 5 separate times from Idle to Topout, it will reach peak RPM twice of the 5 times. . . the other 3 for example it will hit Mid-range and Nose Over until it stalls if I stay on it or if I get off it, it will still idle.            Sorry for the Novel but  WTF?  

Vtojason Vtojason
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/19/12
07:04 PM

Figured it out. . . Thanks anyway