Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2002 Honda Foreman 450ES

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2002 Honda Foreman 450ES

augeeadams augeeadams
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/26/09
04:07 AM

I have a 2002 Honda 450ES 4 wheeler.  I put a new battery in it last year.   About 3 months ago I noticed the battery was not staying charged.  I didn't think to much of it because I don't us it much.  The other day I went to us it and I had to pull start it.  It started fine  and ran fine until I put it in gear.  On the display the gear selection was flashing and the oil light was on real dim and the 4 wheel light and the others were flashing.  When I put it in gear and this didn't matter if it was first or reverse.  I wanted to make sure the charging system was working so I unhooked the battery and it still ran.  With the battery still unhooked I checked the voltage at the battery cables and it read 13.4 which I thought just fine.  Now when I put it in gear it goes to about 5 volts and the lights start flashing.  I also can't shift anymore after this happens.  Any ideas?? Voltage regulator????? Short???  Bad ground???  Thanks  Bob  

wilb67 wilb67
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/28/09
05:26 PM

I don't known about 450es,but if the charging system is working and the battery is good,it can't be a low voltage problem. alot of the newer atv's will not run or work properly if the battery goes below 10 volts. If the battery is good and you have an electronic shifter,you might have a short in the gear position sensor or selector switch.  

wilb67 wilb67
Posted: 05/28/09
05:51 PM

I did some research and found that you have a change control unit on your machine which I imagine is for your electric shifter. It might be bad (shorting out) or take the connector out and clean the contact points and see if this helps. Go to bikebandit and look up the scematic for the wire harness and you will see the unit (#15). Good luck!  

wilb67 wilb67
Posted: 05/29/09
11:54 AM

I know on my rincon,when the display flashes their is a problem somewhere. To retrieve the problem code,you turn the ignition on,put shifter in neutral,turn off ignition. Then turn ignition back on and push the up and dowm shifter buttons contiuosly at the same time until the display flashes a blink code. Write down the blink codes IE: 2 blinks--pause--one blink--pause--3 blinks ect...
I don't know if the ES450 is the same,you can call a dealer to find out.  

augeeadams augeeadams
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 06/23/09
08:10 AM

Thanks for all the help.  Where do I find the codes? Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob