Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

My atv will not turn over.

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

My atv will not turn over.

andrewvettese andrewvettese
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/05/09
03:14 PM

I have a brand new 250CC ATV...
Almost since the day I got it I have had trouble starting it...
It sound like the battery does not have enough power to move the starter fast, it moves and turns BUT it is slow and struggles....

I have had the started tested at the parts store and they say it is fine...
The only thing I noticed is then I try to start the atv the voltage on the battery immediately drops to about 7 volts...
I heard this is battery problem BUT I have purchased 2 new batteries and no change...

any thoughts?  

LynnEdwards LynnEdwards
User | Posts: 122 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 05/05/09
09:59 PM

When you say the battery voltage is 7 volts is that measured right on the plus and minus battery terminals?  That is the only way to eliminate poor connections dropping excess voltage while cranking.  If the battery terminals show 7 volts then that means one of three things:

1) The battery is bad.
2) The battery is discharged
3) The starter is drawing way too much current

To drag a good fully charged battery down to 7 volts will take around 80 amps.  7 volts at 80 amps is 560 watts.  Do this for a while and your starter is going to get really hot.  Does it?  Do any wires or connections get hot instead?  Try jumping your quad to your car.  Does it crank faster? Does it start normally?

After a few minutes with the quad running at fast idle, measure the voltage right on the battery plus/minus terminals.  It should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts.  If it reads 12.6 volts or less your charging system is not working.  

hurcw hurcw
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/04/12
07:52 AM

My ATV does exactly the same and i cannot cure it, did you manage to get yours sorted if so what did you do.
I tried jumping mine off a car and it still just dropped down to around 8 Volts at the starter terminal. with the starter out the vehicle it spins and measures 12+volts.
It is a new solenoid & battery