Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

1987 Quadrunner 4WD... Engine help.

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

1987 Quadrunner 4WD... Engine help.

lvolson lvolson
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/12/09
04:43 PM

I purchased a use 1987 Quadrunner 4WD last fall.  I had ridden one many years ago (pre-kids) and wanted one for myself.  

My problems seemed to start after adding some octane boost to the gas.

About a month ago, while pulling the family on some sleds, it decided it did not want to idle or shift into neutral.  I had this problem a lot when it was too hot.  When I got off of it to let it cool, I noticed the engine was smoking.

The bike had been leaking oil from the left rear where the U join goes into the crank case.  I figure that is the oil seal inside the crankcase and just made sure to keep the oil topped off.  

My MAJOR concern however, is there seems to be a lot of gas getting into the oil.  I had changed the oil about 2 months ago.  A month later (after pulling the sled) I noticed it was very high.  I drained the oil.  It came gushing, was very watery (not thick like oil)and smelled more like gas.  I am a pretty handy person but have very little knowledge of engines so I have NO IDEA why the gas is contaminating the oil.  

I am running a test at the moment.  I had filled the tank when I put the octane boost in.  It was at 50% when I drained the oil.  After I drained the oil, I put the plug back in and waited a few days to see if I got more gas to drain.  There was none.  Today, I filled the tank back to full and put the plug in again to see if it has anything to do with the fuel level.  

I am in the process of removing the engine to replace the oil seal in the left part of the crankcase (with help from a "clymers Guide").  

Do any of you know what could be causing the gas to mix with the oil?  Is there a way to test it (the engine starts with 1 press of the starter even cold).  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
08:21 PM

could be either rings are cracked or worn allowing fuel to leak into the crankcase when it is running, or it could be that the piston skirt or the cylinder sleeve is broken allowing this to happen.

some octane boosters are just too harsh for the atv engine.
they can cause the cylinder to overheat or the rings to overheat causing significant damage to the engine or piston rings.

the first thing i would do is check the compression with a guage.
if it is lower than it should be then i would replace the rings.

if not then i would pull the cylinder and see if the piston skirt or the cylinder sleeve is cracked or broken.

if it's the rings you'll need to hone the cylinder to get the new rings to seat in.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

lvolson lvolson
09:16 PM

Would I have to bring the engine to a machine shop to have the cyliner honed or is that something I can do at home?  

Perhaps I shouldn't touch it and just bring it to a shop?  

I have never done it so I plan to look it up online.

Thank you for the response.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 02/13/09
04:44 AM

honing isn't really all that hard, you just have to make sure that you don't take too much out otherwise the rings and piston will have too much play.
you just want to scratch the cylinder well enough so that the rings have something to wear into.

look it up on the internet to get a better idea.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

Ruger9mm Ruger9mm
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/13/09
01:24 PM

Most shops only charge 40 bucks to either hone or bore a cylinder .  At least that's the case in Missouri.

I would let a shop do that unless you have the hone.

It takes quit a bit of honing to remove enough of the cylinder to be Over sized I would not worry about that but if doing it yourself make sure you go all the way down the cylinder and not just at the top and rotate slowly while honing to give that nice cross hatch .

I have worked on many Hondas but no suzi's until I picked my 4x4 up the other day. 1994 LT-4wd  

lvolson lvolson
Posted: 02/15/09
11:29 AM

Here are the specs:

Normal compression:  1000 - 1400 kpa
Service limit (no idea what that is): 800 kpa

1st test was 900 kpa
2nd test after adding oil was 1000 kpa

The manual says if there is a significant increase after adding the oil then the rings need to be replaced.  

Is 100 kpa significant?

Also, I found the honing tool at sears for about $25 (probably means it's $12ish anywhere else).  The process seems pretty simple.  

I have about $150 into tools and supplies so far.  I expect by the time I am done it will have cost me more than if I had a pro do it BUT I am really enjoying this project so far (I am an accountant turned stay-at-home dad).  

I friend of mine told me the newer bikes come with EFI and power steering!  That's NUTS!  

greenbay_01 greenbay_01
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/24/09
10:09 AM

WOW, The same thing just happened to me this weekend on the same bike!!!
I have a 87 quadrunner 4wd that only has 100 miles on it! Its been gagaged for more than twenty years. I recently inherited it, and decided to get it running. I changed the oil and cleaned the carb. The bike didnt seem to have much power so i added octane boost to it to see if it would help. After about 15 mis of hard riding I think the head gasket blew. BUMMER- no more boost for me.

Hey do you know how to find the displacemnent of the engine size?
Im not sure if my bike is a 250 or 300? It will probly be important for getting parts. Good luck with your bike.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 03/29/09
10:09 AM

look on the cylinder, it should be stamped on it.

example 195cc is a 200, 247cc is a 250  

Wolf Performance

greenbay_01 greenbay_01
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 04/04/09
09:49 PM

Thanx, I super appreciate the help.