Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Big Bear Starter Clutch

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Big Bear Starter Clutch

bigbearguy bigbearguy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/26/08
10:28 AM

I recently bought a 1997 Yamaha Big Bear.  The electric start wasn't working.  I found out that the starter clutch was shot.  I drained the oil and quite a few metal shavings were in it.  Once I saw this I flushed motor oil and gasoline through the engine until metal was no longer coming out.  Since then I have changed the oil every five hours or so of operation.  I still get fine metal shavings in the oil filter, although less each time.  The motor still starts, runs and idles fine, but i'm starting to see a bit of smoke at start-up.  

My plan is to perform a top-end rebuild and change out the starter clutch simultaneously.  While the engine is opened up to perform these tasks I will thoroughly flush it out with gasoline and oil and compressed air.  

I'm a novice at this kind of engine work so I'd like to avoid a complete rebuild?

Questions:

1: Will this plan do an adequate job of removing contaminates from the engine?  If not, what would you advise?

2: Are there specific things I can check for damage while I have the engine opened up this much?  

quadnut quadnut
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/15/10
11:11 AM

Hi Bigbear ,when you see the starter clutch check the idler gear for wear your metal filings may be from the one way bearing slipping on it . best to change the idler gear and the one way bearing other wise you may have to open again.