Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 overheating!!

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 overheating!!

b_irelan b_irelan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/15/08
12:09 PM

I was hoping maybe someone can help me.. I just bought this atv the other day and it runs awesome except for the temp light comes on after riding awhile. I sprayed the radiator clean and made sure the coolant is staying filled and also made sure the fan is coming on..  I am curious to if they have thermostats and if so could this be the problem??  If anyone has any help i would appreciate it tremendously.. Thanks  

fatcow fatcow
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 10/17/08
01:04 PM

When you sprayed it out, did you take the front screen off to get a good look. I had it look good but the outer edges all around were still blocked. And spray from the back side too.  

jdogg793 jdogg793
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/08
03:11 PM

HAVE a look and make sure your fan is turning around.could be ab impeller problem.eg.not turning or old and worn,or it could be a vapour lock.start the quad cold have the right size wrench for the head nut.loosten the nut and wait till fluid comes out a bit.stop then tighten. check coolant level.worst case senario,you could have a head gasket leak and its going out exhaust.is your coolant level low,and does your exhaust burn bluey white?  

jdogg793 jdogg793
03:16 PM

use a temp gun on you engine head, when the light is on.what is the temp.could it be a matter of the bulb  being in the wrong spot?  

jdogg793 jdogg793
03:59 PM

as for wolf1 CHILL BRA! It's just so happens that i've owned many bikes and I wanted to try the 4wheeled catagory so I purchased a used quad.I did some research.I love the speed!then i like to do some muddin! I'm the kind of guy that believes you get out what you put in.I was leaning towards a Can-am outlander 500 but i wasn't sure about the efi at the altitude where i live ,and the adjustability.then there new frame(aluminium riveted)at the cold temps up here in Nothern Canada.and then the deciding factor was the price.just couldn't afford it!I made my purchase used.it was a 99 Polaris Scrambler 400cc 4x4! I luv it now.it wasn't in the best shape on the test drive it crapped out and I had too push it back to the owner.the price dropped considerably.(took all that wrong with it in AND STILL BOUGHT A POLARIS!) so that was then.i've wrenched on it many hours,now I have the machine that scares the hell outa me!it has a hot seat head,v-foce reeds,38mm tmx flatslide carb .60 overbore sleeve,wiesco piston,hotseat pipe and silencer.fox shocks and exstensive clutch work.endurance vapour tach and temp gauges.this thing is almost where i want it,i'm thinkin N.O.S.next maybe.so too make a long story short,most everything is what you put in is what you get!do the reaseach get informed.take a chance THEN HOLD ON!  thanks!