Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Fuel line question.

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fuel line question.

Johnny_R Johnny_R
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/19/08
09:44 AM

I have a 2005 arctic cat 400 4X4, the fuel and vacuum lines were getting weathered and cracked and leaking gas. I could nnot find exactly the right replacement line as far as wall thickness goes, but I think the inside diameter is right on.  Anyway, I replaced all the lines and clamps and now, when I can actually get it to start, it won't run right.

I have tried adjusting the idle but can't seem to get it right. Our area gas stations are putting ethanol in the gas now, but it was running fine w/ ethanol prior to me replacing the lines.

It ran great before I replaced the lines, now it sucks, any ideas?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 08/19/08
08:37 PM

sounds like maybe the walls of the lines are too thin and sucking together.
this causes the engine to starve for gas.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

Johnny_R Johnny_R
Posted: 08/22/08
08:12 AM

Thanks, that may be the problem, I used aftermarket fuel and vacuum lines from an auto parts store and they did not seem as rigid as the factory ones.  I have since ordered replacement line from arctic cat and they should arrive any day, I'll let you know how it turns out.   Thanks.  

Johnny_R Johnny_R
Posted: 09/03/08
08:42 AM

Okay Wolf, I got the new factory lines put on and hand choked it to get gas up into the carb again or prime it so to speak, still won't run.

There is a fuel vent or overflow line that runs up to the front of the atv, when I first tried to start it, a liquid came out of the hose that smelled like alcohol and there appears to be some water in the gas as well.  Could there be something stuck in the carb causing it to come out the overflow hose?

Is there an additive I can use, or a way to get water out of the fuel other than taking the tank off and draining it?

I'm almost to the point of taking it to the dealer...ouch.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 09/03/08
01:20 PM

check the fuel tank to see if it has water in it.

and reclean the carb.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

wildman6298 wildman6298
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/21/08
09:27 AM

Can anyone help me .Got a 2005 500 artic cat.When i fill it up the carb leaks.Took it off cleaned it float moves fine still leaks.  

01raptor660 01raptor660
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/21/08
05:39 PM

Johnny_R, turn the gas lever on the tank to the off position. Take the clamps loose from the inline filter or the carb side of the fuel line( get an inline filter if it doesnt have one, cheap insurance), and place the fuel line into an empty gas can.Simply turn the gas lever to the on position, and it will drain the tank.If it doesnt drain completely, turn the lever to reserve.That will keep you from having to remove the tank from the bike. Turn the lever to the off position again, and add a 1/2 gallon or so of fuel to the tank, and shake it up.Drain this gas into the gas can with the other bad gas by turning the lever on again. Reattatch the filter and fuel line to the carb, and your tank is drained and cleaned without removing it.You wont get it quite as good as you would by removing it, but it will help and will get the watered gas out .
wildman6298_ Sounds like your carb gaskets  and seals are deteriorated. You can buy a rebuild kit for your carb and it will come with all of them. Also, if it is lkg from the bottom, check that your bowl drain screw is closed tightly( there should be a small hose attached to it right below the drain screw on the bottom of the bowl). Good luck to you both.