Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI Problem

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI Problem

arclight arclight
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/19/08
09:35 AM

I have had my bike at the dealer 3 times now. It was running Great has less than 60 hours on it. While going forward it started to learch like it was starving for fuel. I would simply Rev it up and presto it would run good again. Finally I was getting Hot check engine on the cluster. I changed the spark plug and again it ran Great. Then the whole process started again this time though it would not idle and was still Learching. It is currently in the shop again they r waiting for a tech from Polaris to give them some ideas. Hope someone here has a couple. They say they are stumped for the moment. The Engine and all Diagnostics check out! HELP!  

wags1121 wags1121
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 08/19/08
07:22 PM

My 2006 500 EFI was having the same "hot-check engine" problem when it was new. It was in the electronics. Polaris had to put a resistor on it-problem solved. As for the starving for fuel issue, I'm taking mine back (again) tomorrow. It runs great Wide open but spits and sputters at low RPM's.---Good Luck  

arclight arclight
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 09/06/08
05:55 PM

Mine has been in the shop since July 10th. Dealer now working with Polaris Techs. They are trying to figure this out! You would expect a little better product for the kind of money these things cost argh! Worst part is I had to borrow my dads Honda to ride!  

Ridler Ridler
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/24/08
10:01 AM

I had the Check Eng problem with my 06.  It turned out after the inst cluster was changed, the compute module was changed and five misc. trips to the local dealer...it was the wire harness for the factory installed hand/thumb warmers.  A wire was triping a false code.  One 4" jumper wire fixed the problem.  Good thing it was all on warrenty or ***  Hope this helps?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 09/24/08
04:54 PM

the 2007 polaris sportsman has recalls.

check the link below to see the recalls

http://www.atvsafety.gov/atvrecalls.html  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

bigbuck bigbuck
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/25/08
06:36 PM

Hello folks, new poster here. Just got a couple 500 EFI's in Jan. One has 28 hrs on it and the other has 23 hours (mostly hot flat land riding). Just took them to Colorado last week for 2nd Elk season. Easy to moderate climb. Very cool temps. Half way up the mountain, I smell plastic burning. Stop bike and pull seat. The entire right underside of the seat and right rear fender and the small quarter panel near the exhaust was all melted inside. Insulation tape did not appear to work at all. Engine never overheated. My brother was riding my other EFI and guess what, almost identical. Any recommendation as to who I talk to first. Thanks....  

pretcher1 pretcher1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/05/09
06:06 AM

I have had the same things happen to my 06 sportsman 500 Efi. It has been in the shop 3 times already for over heating exhaust.  It has melted the back fender on the right side the small black panel and the seat on the right side causing the seat to pres down on the air box braking the mounting and pulling it off the throttle body.  i have called 1 800 polaris after an hour of talking and arguing with someone that dose not have a clue, they tolled me it is my problem because the warranty has now run out. Yet it has been in on warranty 3 times for the same thing. All they will say to take it to your dealer.  I have traveled 900 kms to have another dealer look at it. I have high hops that maybe this dealer will put more effort to solve the problem.  This has been a problem manley in low gear when going slow. When traveling on narrow, twisting trails and when towing a mower at 5 to 10 km. the top speed for my quad is only 40 km. They have ordered a wiring harness thinking this will fix the problem and installed a shielding kit. We will soon see they saw wednesday my fingers are cost.  

joe.barth joe.barth
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 10/25/09
09:59 AM

I have 2 low milage 2007 Sportsman's,I am very dissapointed in one. the electrical will go dead,just like the battery is disconnected, than come back on and run fine.I ride Colorado and dependability is a must. It has to be a problem in the wiring/electronics(I was told by my riding buddy do'nt buy a Polaris) My dealer said he could fix it for only $455.00!,needs to replace some electrical parts. This machine has 1200 miles on it,driven by a 61 year old. I have had dirt bikes over 40 years now ATV's for the last 12 years. Over that time I have owned, 7,2 wheelers and 6 ATV,s Honda's, Yamaha's, all new put 1. I have never had such poor dealer/ manufacture support. The right side removable panel melted. The dealer gave me some fire resistant fiber material to wrap around the exaust pipe. My dealer had me take photos to send Polaris, never heard from my dealer or Polaris. Maybe I'm to easy! Polaris needs to get involved,what was the name of the large U.S. car manufacture? G.M.didn't I hear somthing about them on Fox!  

Quadgirl26 Quadgirl26
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/08/11
10:33 AM

I have an 2007 sportsman 500 HO 4x4 I had a very similar issue with my ATV. It was working perfectly then all of a sudden it wouldn't start with out being boosted or jump started, acted like it had a dead battery, that worked for a little while, then it wouldn't start at all no matter what we did, so my husdband went and bought a brand new battery for it assuming that was the problem, well it was not....we ended up taking it to the polaris dealership and at first they thought it was the digital spedometer  A.K.A the brain of the machine, but they put it on the tester and it was the part that regulates the juice, tells the brain how much juice to give to the battery to start it and keep it running, I can't seem to remember exactly what the part was called...sorry, but I will ask my husdband later and let you know...the whole thing cost us about $500.00 to get the part and have them repair it, as it was all very technical... good luck and I hope this helps  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 09/09/11
08:07 PM

thanks for passing the information. iam sure there are more out there that need this.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....