Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Idle issue with 87 Kawasaki Mojave

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Idle issue with 87 Kawasaki Mojave

timberwolf177 timberwolf177
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 07/30/08
01:53 PM

This seems like a good place to get some info to help me out..  I just picked up a good used Kawasaki Mojave 250.   Overall runs great.. good torque, power ect... I just bought a carb rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb.. It runs without the choke on now, but I just can't get the idle to fine tune.. either it is to high, or two low it dies.   I tried to find an air leak and I have not found one.. so any other ideas?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 07/31/08
04:31 AM

try adjusting the fuel air mixture a little.

when you are riding does it bog down on top end, or does it cut out?

when you rebuild a carb you normally need to make a few adjustments to the fuel/air mixture screw.

bogging down is a sign that it is too rich.
cutting out is a sign that it is too lean.

turning the fuel air mixture screw to the right will add more air to the mix.
while turning it to the left will add more fuel.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

09:11 AM

I would have to say it almost acts like a govener at very top end.. so cutting out... you can hear it revving up then just before I shift, it starts to cut out.. so I will richen the mixture.  I was not sure if this could affect the idle or not.  

10:27 PM

Well.. I richened it up.. a lot.. I went 1/4 turn increments and drove it hard in between adjustments.  I probably richened it by 1 and 1/4 turns.  Seems better, still idles a little weird.  after a hard run, it will idle a little high, then step down to a normal idle.. but still loops a little at idle.  But much better than just straight high idle or die.. and runs a lot better to boot.  Should I keep going on the adjustment? or when do I know it's to rich?
Thanks for the input by the way!!!  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 08/01/08
04:51 AM

if it starts bogging down then it is too rich.

with it looping it does sound just a little too rich, i would turn it down 1/4 turn and turn the idle screw to make up for it if necessary.
see if it stops.

you aren't very far off so 1/4 turn would be all i would do  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....