Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Yamaha Bruin rear brakes

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Yamaha Bruin rear brakes

piggnford piggnford
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/07/08
08:25 AM

Im ready to do a brake shoe replacement on my 2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 2WD, but I cannot get the castle nut loose on the axle to remove the brake drum housing. I have tried everything short of a 1" impact!! Can someone tell me a secret for this, and also is it possible that this is a left hand thread?  Thanks all for your help  

dmills dmills
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 08/02/08
02:06 PM

I just did this on the Big Bear.  If the Bruin has the same solid rear axle setup as the Big Bear, you can put a pipe wrench on the exposed axle shaft on the left side of the ATV.  Use a shop towel between the pipe wrench and the axle to avoid scratching the axle (much), if that bothers you.  Then use a breaking bar on the nut.  You can put a pipe on the wrench handles for extra power if needed. On mine, the threads were standard right hand thread.  Good luck.  

DRCHUCK DRCHUCK
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/24/10
04:59 PM

I had a terrible time trying to get the castle nut off of the rear axle to repair the brakes.   After 4 hours of attempts, penetrating lubricant,  cracked impact sockets, 3ft pipe and breaker bar, 4ft pipe, 8ft pipe, 2 bottles of propane, busted knuckles, and a litany of four letter words that would make a sailor repent, I did what any red blooded American would do...I called my DAD!!!  Now many of you know my kind of Dad...he shows up cleaned and pressed while I'm sweaty, greasy, and bloody, followed by a few statements of "Hey Son, Did you try....?"  And then he whispers a few sweet nothings at the freakin' frozen nut, places a wrench gingerly on the end of this poor castle nut AND TIGHTENS IT  AAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! Thereby, breaking the grip of the nut and gingerly loosens it with this *** eating grin and says I guess you loosened it for me!!!   The whole time I'm thinking "Well hell, if I'd have loosened it, I wouldn't have called (HA)  But honestly, his wisdom is waiting long enough for the penetrating oil to work, breaking the nut loose first by tightening just enough (only the amount that well seasoned Dads know, and then ever so gently loosening the nut making it look so magically simple.  THANKS AGAIN FOR MAKING IT LOOK SOOOOOOO EASY AND MAKING ME LOOK SOOOOOOO STUUUUPIIID.  Certainly, not a hard thing to do since Dad's have a lifetime of experience and practice.   I only hope that one day I can pass on this time honored tradition on my son.

Doc Chuck