Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2005 Honda TRX450R idle problem

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2005 Honda TRX450R idle problem

playersinc888 playersinc888
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/27/08
06:39 PM

I have a very hard time starting my bike and now it won't stay running unless I keep on the throttle. I just changed the oil and the oil filter and now it is doing that. I have felt this problem creeping up in the last week or so by the way the bike runs. Even when I get it running and then come to a stop it cuts right off and I have a heck of a time starting it unless I hot start it and keep it throttled up. My idle adjustment is all the way up. Even before this it was all the way up and still barely staying on when idling. I'm not sure what the problem is. Can someone please help me?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 06/27/08
07:52 PM

many possibilities, ut the first that come to mind are:

check the air filter to see if it has oil in it.

the fuel/air mixture could be off.

the rubber intake boot could have cracks in  it.

the carburetor has dirt or water in it or both.

my first check would be the air filter, then i would visually inspect the intake boot for cracks.
if not then remove the bowl from the carburetor and look inside to see if there is trash or water inside.

if not i would then while the air filter cover is off try to crank it, if it gets better, then the fuel mixture is too rich.

if it gets worse or stays the same the fuel mixture could be too lean.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

foxdunerider foxdunerider
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/01/08
01:04 PM

Both me and my fathers trx450r's are doing this exact same thing. We cannot seem to figure it out. :/ Its been a real bummer seeing them both just sit in the garage.
if you figure it out, think you can help me out?  

nickt143 nickt143
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/01/12
08:16 PM

I also have a 05 honda trx450r mine has recently started idleing really load and it starts to bog in the top of every gear I think it could be something with the carbuerator but im not really sure. If you know anything let mme know please?  

Chief3 Chief3
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/03/12
03:37 PM

Inside the carb were the throttle rod move up and down, it goes into an emoltion tube. The tube is round were the pin slide up and down in it, the tube wears and gets oval shaped allowing to much fuel in and no matter what you do you cannot adjust the fuel/air mixture. The tube is very small but easy to change once the carb is off. To check it, once the carb is off the AVT reach in throat of the carb and see if you can wiggle the throttle tube back and forth. IF you can, it needs to be replaced. This will allow the fuel/air to mix properly and should fix the problem.