Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

carb trouble on a 96 yamaha blaster 200

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

carb trouble on a 96 yamaha blaster 200

dylanmiller66 dylanmiller66
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/28/08
08:32 AM

It starts good, but when I take off it bogs out,So I hold it full throttle to clean the carb out then it runs good. It runs good until I let off the throttle then it fluds the cylinder. It is also blowing gas out of the after market toomey b1pipe. Jet requirements according to toomey is a 310 main jet. That is the jet I have in my carb. I want to know why my carb is flooding my cylinder when I release the throttle. Can you help?  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
09:15 AM

310 is the toomey number for the jet, it's not the actual size of the jet.

ok, you changed the pipe and you changed the jet.
did you also move the clip on the needle down to the third from the top groove?

and did you drill the 12 one inch holes in the airbox lid?

if so then call toomey and ask for their tech support.

and see if they can help you with it.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

wolf1 wolf1
10:31 AM

if Toomey is no help, then you could try adjusting the fuel/air mixture screw yourself.

turning it in will reduce the amount of fuel and allow more air in the carb.

just mark where it is setting now, so that you have a starting point for reference and turn it in 1/4 turn increments. keep up with how many 1/4 turns you make.
and let it run for a few minutes between 1/4 turns.

if you can't get it to adjust this way then i would send the exhaust system back to toomey for a replacement.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

wolf1 wolf1
11:46 AM

hey check the crankcase for gas, if it is getting so much fuel that it is blowing it out of the exhaust then chances are the crankcase is full of fuel now.
in this case it wouldn't run properly if the crancase was overfull with gas and oil.

also check to see if the silencer is saturated with fuel.  it wont breathe correctly if so.  

Wolf Performance

04:32 PM

Hey man, thanks for the info.  

04:48 PM

One more time, alright I check the crankcase and found some gas so I emptied it then I drilled holes in my breather box and then I turned the air/fuel screw two quater turns witch made it run alright but it started to run hot do you know why?  

04:52 PM

I also forgot to mention that the pipe was dry of gas when it started running hot.  

wolf1 wolf1
05:36 PM

did you just drain the oil to an acceptable level? or did you drain all of the oil and replace it?

if it has gas in it then you have to replace it all.

the gas thins out the oil and it will run hot.

but a warning, if you are still using the factory clutches then only use the yamalube synthetic oil.  

Wolf Performance

07:03 PM

Yes I did drain the oil. It did not have gas in it. But I have a ebc/barnett clutch kit in the factory housing. Would running Castor 927 two stroke oil make it run hot mixing at 32/1?  

wolf1 wolf1
07:26 PM

possibly if you are running it through the premixer pump.
some 2 cycle oils aren't thin enough to flow well through the tubing to the pump.

I run nothing but the yamalube or mx2t mobile 1
for 2 cycle.

what did it do when it ran hot?  did it shut down or anything?

and what made you aware that it was running hot?  

Wolf Performance

wolf1 wolf1
07:44 PM

with the new jet and the needle adjustment, if you are running the premixer pump then it probably isn't oiling the piston correctly.
the premixer pump has only one pump setting.

it cannot be adjusted, so you may have to premix your 2 cycle oil and fuel in the tank.  it should mix at 32:1
or four ounces of good quality 2 cycle oil to each gallon of fuel.

i would mix my own oil just to be safe.
you don't want to burn the rings up.  

Wolf Performance

Posted: 02/29/08
08:30 AM

Ok for one thing, I already mix my own gas. I took the premixer pump out, and put a block off on. When it was running hot it was bogging out, and the pipe was blowing really hot air out. My banshee does not do that.  

wolf1 wolf1
08:48 AM

awesome!  the best bet on the blaster is to remove the premixer pump.
glad to hear you have it out already.

normally when the engine bogs out it is because it is getting too much fuel.

if it cuts out then it is getting too much air.

it is possible that it is running hot because it is still getting too much fuel.
more fuel to burn so more heat from combustion.

i'd try adjusting the carb a little more.

it's odd because normally when you put on the toomey b1k or b1kc kits you don't have to adjust much of anything.

did you do anything to the exhaust or make any other modifications to the engine before getting the exhaust?  

Wolf Performance

09:06 AM

When I bought the toomey pipe I did not have a carb so I went to a dealer and bought one. I replaced the reeds in it. As for the motor, I rebuilt it before I put the pipe on.  

09:20 AM

Ok, I rebuilt the motor. I had to buy a carb from a dealer. Then I put the pipe on. The carb has the #310 main jet with the stock 32.5 pilot jet. I replaced the reeds in the carb. It might be the floaters, do you know how high to set them so I can check that?  

1 |  2 |  Next Page