Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

400ex wont start!! need help

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

400ex wont start!! need help

CapeCod21 CapeCod21
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/11/08
04:16 PM

Alright my 2001 400ex has been sitting in my garage for about a year now. Im looking to sell it so I want to get it up and running. I changed the oil and oil filter, drained the old gas out of it, changed the spark plug and put a new airfilter in it. after all this the only way i can get it started is by jumpstarting it. I had it running for atleast 15 minutes and everything was fine. when i shut it down and left it for a little while, i tried the electric start and it sounds like wants to start but it just wont kick over.....

I cant figure it out any ideas  Confused

any help is much appreciated!! thanks  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
05:15 PM

the battery could have a dead cell, meaning it just wont have enough cranking amps to turn it over.
or turn it over but just not fast enough.

have you tried charging the battery? or a new battery?  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

CapeCod21 CapeCod21
05:40 PM

yeah i was thinking it could be the battery, i charged it over night and it was still the same thing this morning. I jump started it and rode it for a half hour today....would that have charged up the batter enough?? it seems like it has enough power from the battery but im probably wrong lol  

wolf1 wolf1
08:25 PM

the charging system is a trickle charging system.
so it's not likely it charged it much if it was pretty dead.

it does sound like either the battery has a dead cell.
(it'll run fine if you boost it if it has a dead cell,) or the starter is dragging.
also check all of the connections  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

CapeCod21 CapeCod21
Posted: 03/12/08
01:40 PM

Put a new battery in it today, still wont start...idk im lost  

wolf1 wolf1
03:00 PM

but it will start if you boost with another battery or boost box?

it's just possible that you have a short somewhere.

trace down all of the wires and make sure they are all well connected and tight.  

Wolf Performance

CapeCod21 CapeCod21
03:52 PM

i checked all the wires everything looks good. the way i was jump starting it was towing it behind my truck lol but it was running fine. i checked the sparkplug and it spelt like gas and there apppears to be a small amount of gas coming down the air intake from the carb.....maybe ive just been flooding it while trying to start it...how long should i wait before trying it again??  

CapeCod21 CapeCod21
03:53 PM

it sounds like it wants to start but just might be flooded  

440ex24 440ex24
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/14/09
01:09 PM

i have a 2002 400ex and i just put a 440ex kit in it and its in time but it wou't start any ideas  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 03/11/10
09:50 AM

put a new spark pluf in it, you may have fouled it out, and try cleaning the carb.  the pilot jet could be clogged.

440ex:  check the valves. you may have one bent or burned  

Wolf Performance

rhcrawford1110 rhcrawford1110
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/12/10
05:39 PM

I was reading about a starting issue at http://www.atvwheelin.comthat might help!  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 05/25/10
11:09 AM

how did it come out cape?  

Wolf Performance

99trx440ex 99trx440ex
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/14/10
08:56 PM

i have the same problem, i have a 99 trx 440ex and i was ripping around in some mud and fields, then i shut the quad off and tthen i had really hard ime starting, but sure enough it started, fo i putted around a bit more, and sut it off for lunch and went to start it and nothing... let it sit a bit longer and then it had a real hard time starting to crank then it tturned over, i got home that night, went to sart it nothing, now it just kind of ticks when i press the electric start coming from the solenoid, so i tried crossing the posts and it puttered then nothing, now when i try it does absolutely nothing, just the odd tick.. so does hat mean the solenoid is gone and possibly sarter?
sorry, lol thanks  

johnnyp5 johnnyp5
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/01/11
03:48 PM

ok i have a problem..i got a 99 400ex that needed a new head gasket the guy already had it apart but i got all the stuff so i got a new gasket put it on i timmed it the way it says to i cleaned the carb put fresh gas in it put a battery in it and hooked it to a jump box to make sure it had enough volts to start it and when i try to start it it acts like it wants to it will pop like its going to but it will just crank and crank...im gettn plenty of fuel to the carb ive even retimmed it like 5 times and still the same thing....nothing..im gettn to the point of just selling it...any ideas? Confused  

johnnyp5 johnnyp5
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/01/11
10:42 PM

im sure its not the battery because its the same one i have in my 670 raptor and it turns it over just fine with no problem....idk what the deal is!ive tried everything that i know of to get it to start and it wont..  

1 |  2 |  Next Page