Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Adjusting My Valve Lash

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Adjusting My Valve Lash

homecutt homecutt
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 03/02/08
09:47 AM

My valves begin to make a loud chatter after my 2008 Arctic Cat 400 gets up to full operating temperature. I contacted the dealer I purchased from and was told to adjust the valve lash (gap). I read the "how-to" in my manual and it states, "rotate the crankshaft to TDC position on the compression stroke". My question is, "is there another TDC, maybe on the exhaust stroke?" Everytime I see the TDC mark come up in the timing inspection port, it is just after the compression stroke. It is the only timing mark I see. I've rotated the crankshaft very slowly via the pull-starter but there is a point where it spins faster than I can control and maybe I am missing another mark? Anyway, I adjusted the valves with the timing mark at TDC and re-checked them and now the valves are noisier than ever!  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 03/18/08
09:03 AM

um... if it's a new atv the dealer should be doing the work of adjusting the valve lash under the warranty.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

shotgunit78 shotgunit78
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/18/09
05:46 PM

Yes there are two top dead centres one on compression and one on exhaust you will need to find the stroke when both valves can move freely Niether are open that will be on the compression stroke which is where you want to adjust them.  another good way to make sure you are on the right stroke is to cover the spark plug hole with your thumb and pull it over slowley if it is on the right (compression) stroke it will make pressure on your thumb on the wrong stroke and the air is forced out the exhaust and not on your thumb,  get the thumb compression and then line up the mark on the fly wheel and you should be able to wiggle the rocker arms a little bit both valves should be closed an the piston if you look through the spark plug hole should be at the top.  then adjust the valves acordingly.  if its noisier now perhaps you adjusted the valves itake instead of exhaust just be sure the right valves are adjusted the exhaust always has more lash.  sometimes its hard to figure out which valve is which just follow the intake and exhaust runners carfully or look at which side of the head it is on im not sure yet on the H1 just be carefull on which alve is which.  good luck
Mike