Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

81 Honda 200 big red 3 wheeler, timing problem ?

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

81 Honda 200 big red 3 wheeler, timing problem ?

slimone slimone
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/24/08
05:13 PM

Hi , The other day we went to start it an it would not turn over,well just part way an then locks up , pulled off head an it turns fine ,checked valves look ok an can depress them,cleaned up carbon an put back together, installed head an checked it still turns over ok,installed top head cover with rockers and it won't turn over then ,check adjustment looks ok but as soon as I start to tighten head bolts the motor stops turning over. set timing chain with cam gear dot at notch on cover,nether valve open an piston at TDC, Now I'am sure its something I'am doing wrong but what is it ?    Thanks for any help     Slimone Confused  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 02/24/08
06:06 PM

this is so familiar, although a good while back.

so iam scratching my head trying to remember.

for now this is what i would check on.

have you changed the spark plug recently?
sometimes the old trusty parts store will sell you one that is too long. if it's not entirely too long it could stop the piston as it comes up rather than bust a hole in it.

and lets see....

take the cover off and turn the engine, look for anything out of place as you turn it.

maybe the cam gear warped, anything that could catch, if it is only doing it as you tighten the bolts down on the cover, then it's probably a small defect. so look closely.

i have seen this before but i can't remember what it turned out to be right at the moment.
maybe a little smoking up the house with thought will jog my memory.

i have also seen magneto's come apart and do this. although they got to the point they did it all the time.

look for wear on the underside of the cover.
look for any bolts missing, like cam gear bolts that may have backed out.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

slimone slimone
Posted: 02/25/08
07:13 AM

Hi, well to start with I pulled out the plug, so there is no way its hitting the piston, an it is also the same plug that it was running on , after looking at the piston close it had a small mark on it an I discovered that one screw is missing from the choke plate ,can only asume it went thru an maybe hit the piston , supect maybe a bent valve but it dosen't look to be bent an also I can depress the valve springs an make them open , next I'am going to disassemble the valves an do a closer inspection of them . will let you know what I find,    thanks    Slimone Confused  

wolf1 wolf1
07:17 AM

look under the piston, the screw can enter the cylinder, make it to the port and once the piston goes up, fall underneath and down to the crankshaft.
it could be binding between the crankshaft and the case.

it's sheer luck with a screw in the cylinder that you didn't blow a hole in the piston.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

slimone slimone
09:43 AM

Hi Wolf, well not a bent valve, now it turns over eazy without the head on , put the head back on an it still turns over ok, its when I put the rocker arm plate with rockers back on that it will turn about 3/4 of the way an then locks up,the only thing I can think of is maybe valve timing , am I setting the chain up wrong? there is a dot on the cam gear and a notch on the cover ,I asume they have to be aligned,? I have been bring the piston up on top with cam lobes down so valves are closed and then line chain an gear up. Is that the right way to do this ? I have been a auto mechanic for 45 years an this is the first tinker toy I have ever played with ,not sure I want to do it again LOL  thanks Slimone,still Confused  

slimone slimone
12:12 PM

Hi Wolf, found a red link on the chain an lined it up with the dot on the cam gear an low an behold  the darn thing turns over just fine all the way, Now just have to put the rest of it together an back into the bike an with any luck maybe it will run again. THANKS for the advice Have a Great Day   Slimone  

wolf1 wolf1
07:04 PM

no problem, glad to help, and glad you figured it out.
the noda's were the worst to line up the timing gears.

i was about to repost after looking through the manual and reading about the link but you beat me to it.
as long as there is nothing else out of whack it should crank fine for ya.  

Wolf Performance