Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

tao tao chinese ATV problem

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
First |  Prev Page |  14 |  15 |  16 |  17 |  Next Page   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

tao tao chinese ATV problem

351wpwr 351wpwr
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/26/10
07:31 PM

I have a 125 with the taotao engine. It just stopped running past idle and knocks. Whatever is under the chrome cover on the top of the head has an adjuster screw in it and it was all the way out hitting the chrome cover plate making the knock. I turned it in and it runs all the way to full but I know it is not adjusted properly and there seemed to be no lock nut to set the adjuster screw from coming out all the way again. Any help would be appreciated to adjust it right and set it for good.It wiggles itself out still and then knocks adn won't run.  

ianmb1967 ianmb1967
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/06/10
08:08 AM

Hi,

I have the same thing and had awful problems with getting it to maintain a constant idle, or starting in the cold.

I fiddled with the high-range carb jet until I was blue in the face, but with no joy.

What eventually worked for me was to adjust the main jet.  I guess that when they ship from china, they are set a certain way, and depending on the dealer, it is up to the owner to adjust the carb to your local settings.

I've also noticed that the carb is very sensitive.  Adjusting the jetting a fraction of a turn can have a major impact on the machine's behaviour.

...Ian.  

jomotro jomotro
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/10
08:27 AM

I have a tao tao 110 that was running and then just quit after sitting outside for a few weeks. It will not fire, but is getting spark. I took the bowl off the carb and drained gas in case there was water in it from sitting outside in the rain. I found a small spring in the bottom of the bowl, but I don't know where it goes. Can anyone help?  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
08:46 AM

Most of the chinese atv's come in through California, so they are trying to meet the emission standards for there since Cali restricts everything.
My bro-in-law got one of those pocket rocket bikes the X18 that goes around 70mph. He said that is was only going 38mph so he called the company to find out why. They told him that he would have to call back so I told him to look at the throttle valve assembly. There was a piece of metal an inch long that was keeping it from going max speed. It then would go 66-68mph.

I strongly insist that if you get a chinese atv or bike that you go over every bolt on it and tighten it. My bro-in-law only tightened the handle bars up, while he was ridding it the gear shifter feel off, when my friend rode it the front brake loosened up. He told my bro that he was glad he didn't have to use the damn brakes.  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

inkblotz inkblotz
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 09/09/10
09:29 AM

There should be no spring in the bowl are you sure you didnt remove the mixture screw as there will be a small O-ring in there. Also a new cr7hsa ngk spark plug is always a good idea after water in the gas.  

ryeguy2 ryeguy2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/09/10
08:23 AM

I am looking to buy two tao tao 135 atv for my kids.  Have been reading a lot of good and a lot of bad about the tao tao atvs on various forums.

Is it possible much of the bad is from older units and much of the good from newer units that were improved/better built?

Also, one online dealer told me that jetmotto no longer makes kid atvs so tao tao took over one of their factories... Dealer said he now only buys the models made from this paticular factory because he believes there is a higher level of quality.

So,  is it possible to get a higher quality tao tao 135 or 125 that is reliable for a few years based on newer models or a better factory where they are built?

I know you get what you pay for with chinese quads, but I had a friend with a kazuma that lasted 4 years and he had to do some wrenching along the way, but felt it was worth it.  Just don't want my kids to outgrow or become uninterested in a expensive model. I consider the chinese quad a good sample and if they like it/want to stic to it, upgrade them to a quality brand.  BUT, I don't want to get something that won't start or is constantly being worked on.

Your thoughts?  

66jaguar 66jaguar
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 12/13/10
05:48 PM

My Thoughts? Well I have had my Tao Tao 250 for a year and a half now. It runs excellent and I trail ride for miles alot. I had to add a chain tensioner to keep the chain from coming off on long hill pulls but I think the new Tao Tao's come with one now. Other then replacing my rear tires for wearing them out lock tite everything! And I mean remove all your bolts from the rear chain adjusters to the nerf bar mounting bolts and nuts to the ones that hold the plastics on and apply 242 Locktite. Otherwise your bolts will loosen up and fall out. Other then that you can run the Chinese spark plug but have a NGK on hand to replace in a month or so. Mine's been pretty good over all. The one I bought my wife is even better. It is a 150 Auto even though I prefer my 250 with a manual.With my wifes 150 I have not done really anything to this bike except apply loctite to the bolts. It just runs and runs. The frame is thicker and stouter then my Tao Tao and the construction seems more quality for a Cina bike. They have several Models to choose from and it ships to your door in a crate. If you can handle some basic assembly with again the loctite it may be a alternative for you. I am not affiliated with them just very happy with the product.When I decide to replace my Tao Tao I will buy the 300cc Manual from these guys. Here's the link. Powersportsmax.com. Ken

http://www.powersportsmax.com/  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/14/10
05:55 PM

dont do it, even the consumer product safety commission has deemed these chinese atv's unsafe.

many people (adults and children) have died because of the many defects they have.
many more have been injured.

they are not worth the money and alot of the time replacement parts are difficult and almost impossible to find.

the shyster chinese atv dealers know they are dangerous and inferior, but wont tell you because they want to make a fast buck.

do a google search you'll see what i mean.  geeze look on this site... you'll hundreds of posts about the many defects and issues with these atv's

you would come out alot better buying a used honda, yamaha, suzuki or kawasaki.

many of the chinese atv's also contain lead based products.

they are just not worth the money you spend on them.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

shivam7 shivam7
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 12/28/10
09:08 PM

I also have same problem but i have tried it about 3 times every day since it was running.. nothing. at first I thought it was just to cold out and I'd have better luck when it warmed up a little. It's now about 35-40 during the day (which is warmed up for here). and still nothing. I'm kind of cranky about the whole thing as it's a brand new machine.. aren't new things supposed to just work.....  
Kenworth Trucks | Cars For Sale | Trailers For Sale

dderoose dderoose
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/04/11
07:55 PM

just got one for my son spent xmas eve trying to get running right found the carb spacer bolt holes off center and sucking air .
filed oblong to center the spacer and mad a gasket for in between spacer and intake
running good now idle still up and down .still working on that
does any know of an upgrade carb  

starship7ss starship7ss
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/29/11
07:07 AM

Not all are wet yes some are however mine is dry on the 250  

wolf1 wolf1
07:44 AM

to shivam7

not when it comes to the chinese atvs.  they slap them together with inferior quality parts.

the bolts are irregularly sized and they are softer.
the frames are of softer metal than other atvs use.
the electronics are problematic and finding the right replacement parts is at best difficult.

it's one of those times where the phrase "you get what you pay for"  really rings true.

the chinese atv's are alot cheaper for a reason.

honestly if you buy a good used honda or yamaha you come out alot better than buying a new chinese atv, and you have a resell value.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

starship7ss starship7ss
07:49 AM

Icon Quotesolarives:
ALL THE TAOTAO BRAND ATV CHEAT! ALL THE 107CC ENGINE INSTEAD 125CC AND 135CC ATV, SUCH AS ATA125D,ATA125F1,ATA125G,ATA135D ETC, I'M LICENCED DEALER SELLING TAOTAO BRAND ATV IN CANADA AND FINALLY FIND THAT MATTER AND NO RESPONDS FROM CANADA TT (TAOTAO IN CANADA)

Just purchased my second ata 250D,The first in 08 that was a 250cc this one is 230cc not sure of the motor,some say its a Hensim 230cc and the listing on these web sites should say this, now days decieve the custumer seems to be key, and its wrong,when you pay for 250 then its 250 also I noticed the Certification Of Compliance shows a third party and thats Stanley Enterprises of Canada, these machines are fine but proper prep needs to be done prior to starting and riding,proper breakin is also key,mine have had minor problems with very little cost I know of many with name brand with far more problems, Its how you treat it and care from the getgo, if your ruff with the machine any one name brand or not will involk problems and some machanical back ground is helpful,when you look howmany of these chinese ATVs are sold of course your going to hear more about them the name brands are not selling as many as the chinese and theres going to be false accusations as well because name brands are extorting the price of an ATV forcing most to buy a cheaper one and I cant blame someone buying cheaper.  

starship7ss starship7ss
08:35 AM

Icon Quotepolarisalltheway:
To everyone who is having problems with there china made quads heres a few hints to keep em going. First YES>>> they are shipped with fish oil in them, they cant ship them with reg oil because they dont ship with hazard materials thats why u have to fill the battery. Change oil before u even start it up or turn it over. To those have trouble adjusting the carb, make sure u let it warm up for 10 minutes before u make any adjustments, then ensure the choke is all the way off before u adjust ur carb. To all those with chain slippage issues ensure the rear adjustment screws are adjusted evenly and ensure all 4 rear axle bolts are tight. All these quads are dry clutch machines and DO NOT require oil, if ur machine is slow going off the start there is an easy adjustment to the clutch, a flat screwdriver and a jam nut, lossen jam nut and turn screw clockwise to tighten clutch up, ride a little and tighten again, 2 times of adjusting in the backyard and ur ready for the trail. Over all these machines are good to learn on as well as fun on the trails and in the yard, locktite all hardware, adjust clutch, change oil and ride hard. I have several friends that have these machines and they ride them as hard as we ride polaris machines. ride hard and ride safe.

Icon Quotebilll2099:
no, they are not shipped with fish oil, that's way to expensive to use, most are shipped with jus plain 10-30 oil, but we don't know if it conforms to SAE specs, so it still needs to be changed.
the reason why the battery are not filled is because these quads sit in a warehouse sometime for years and are shipped all around the world. who knows if and when the quad will be set up and ready to ride.
all chinese quads 50-250cc use a wet clutch not a dry clutch.
as far as the chain comming off he spockets when the quads are new, most of the time it's only a alignment problem, the rear axle is cocked a little when it was assembled. when used it could be verity of reasons,some include,  alignment, loose or worn chain, worn spockets, swing arm bushing just to name a few.
one thing i do agree on is that chinese quads are a good beginner quad for the 4-12 year olds only if one of the parents have good mechanical ability and know how to trouble shoot common problems. i could not recommend one for the single mom or any child or adult over the age of 12. the price is right but just plain not worth it.

50 through 250 use both wet and dry,I have two 250cc both are dry clutch and depends on 1 or 5 gears  

wolf1 wolf1
09:14 AM

even our consumer product safety comission has deemed the chinese atv's unsafe.

i purchased 2 110cc atvand a 125cc dirtbike. ( all three were 107cm cylinders.)
and tested them against the japanese atv's.

they didnt hold up.
the bolts were irregularly sized, meaning 10mm bolt could be as far off as 9.2mm with a nut going on the end of it as far off as 10.5mm
meaning it rattled loose or stripped out.
i put the frames on a rockwell hardness testor, and they failed miserably and were significantly softer metal than that of the chinese atv's.

there are huge differences when you compare the chinese atv's with the japanese.

the chinese atv's are junk slapped together and sold dirt cheap to make a fast buck.
also if you search the internet you'll find many people who have died riding the chinese atv's, not because of misuse or abuse but because of defects.

frames breaking, fire hazards, brake calipers falling off because the caliper bolts broke while riding. (softer metal)

i found one site with the names of 40 people who had died from defects.

you really cant put the chinese atv's in the same class as the japanese atv's.  they are no where near the same quality.

Yet, if someone dies on a chinese atv we all suffer.
they have already started changing regulations that govern how we ride, or who can ride at what age. and eventually if the chinese atv's are not banned, no one will be able to ride.

the chinese atv's are junk. never had any trouble out of the honda or yamaha atv's and dirtbikes i have owned.
but the ones i purchased for testing fell apart constantly.
output shafts locked up, motor mounts broke, frames broke, carb caps vibrated loose causing the atv to go full throttle uncontrollably.
fuel leaks that caused fire. front wheel spindles broke off.
and it was constant. it got to the point we had to do major repairs to finish testing them.
and all were ridden on flat ground at low speeds.

the japanese atv's are still running and have absolutely no problems.  

Wolf Performance

First |  Prev Page |  14 |  15 |  16 |  17 |  Next Page   | Last