Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

tao tao chinese ATV problem

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next Page   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

tao tao chinese ATV problem

110atvdad 110atvdad
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/13/08
10:21 PM

I just bought 3 tao tao chinese atv's 4 stroke - automatic clutch for my kids.  The owners manual has very little information.  It discusses engine oil and type but nothing for the clutch.  The engine side has a dip stick and the ATV's came with oil in them (on the engine side).

The clutch side has a top port - side port (with an o ring on the inside making you think oil should be in there) and a drain plug on the engine side and clutch side.  I have researched to death on the internet and cannot find the answer to two questions.  One of the ATVs runs but will not move forward when you put it in gear and add throttle (both of the other ones do move but I dont want to run them or let the kids ride till I figure this out)

1- are the clutches wet clutches as I am led to think or is it dry - if so what oil do I use since no information is in the owners manual - it only discusses 15 - 40 motorcycle engine oil (is that what I would use)?

2 - On the one ATV that will not move when in gear what do I do?  Replace a clutch pack? or is there an adjustment needed for the clutch?

ANY HELP PLEASE  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
10:48 PM

it should be a wet clutch.
most commonly the clutches are all wet clutches, it's typically the cheapest way to do it for it's use and purpose.

i have had two of the tao tao 110cc chinese made atv's they were both wet clutch, and 10w40 was what they used.  although 15w40 would work as well.
10w40 is more common and readily available.

i would replace the clutch as most of these don't have much of an adjustment.

the 110's i had did have a oil fil hole with a dipstick.

if you can't get your hands on the factory clutch check your town for a company called "Dacco transmission parts." (they have 47 stores through the U.S. so theres a good chance there's one close to you.)

They should be able to use their ghost book and match you up a really good clutch for the atv at a decent price. just take the old clutches in so they can match them up, they'll most likely have to order them in.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

110atvdad 110atvdad
10:56 PM

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information.
Any Idea on a service manual?  I also have a 250D with a manual clutch.  It moves - so far- but has the same set up with fill port side port and drain.

Same advice?  fill it?

On the 110 would you try some oil first then replace the clutch or just replace it?  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/14/08
07:56 AM

I do from time to time run into something you don't see everyday, so if there is no oil on the dipstick take a plastic wire tie and dip it into the dipstick area and make sure there is oil there.  (don't let go of the wire tie or lose the tie in there.
although they really don't usually put a dipstick on it if it is a dry clutch system.
and the rest of the crankcase would need lubrication to keep it from burning up.

i would definately try oil in it just to make sure there were no leaks.  you don't want to put a new set of clutches in it and burn them up because there is a bad seal or a cracked case.
although be sure not to overfill.

i sent you an email as well.

and i am glad to help.  Cool  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

110atvdad 110atvdad
Posted: 01/14/08
09:59 PM

Now I feel like a real idiot.  I put oil in the side I thought was the "clutch".  It leaked out of the bottom so I took the cover off to fix the gasket.  On this side is the magneto and timing chain.  So I thouroughly cleaned the oil off the magnets and electro magnets. I used a good solvent - dried it out and re assembled the side.  I had oil present to full on the dip stick but it came to me new with this oil.  I replaced it and it was black.  After replacement the ATV worked in reverse but would barely move forward. The dealer was very nice and is sending a new clutch.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/15/08
08:25 AM

yup burned or crystallized clutches.
nah don't feel like an idiot, you now know that the clutches are on the right side.
You have been educated.

sorry i just had to pick on ya a little... Wink  

Wolf Performance

lostsoul lostsoul
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
11:40 AM

i have an atv 110cc fushion it will crank but wont turn over got a new starter  still nothing  

wolf1 wolf1
05:28 PM

hey lostsoul i sent you a pm.

I'd be glad to help
(not an expert just have been working on atv's and dirtbikes since i was 9.)

by saying it will crank but wont turn over.

do you mean the starter is turning and the engine is not, or the engine is turning but it just wont start?

if the engine is turning and it wont start check the main fuse and check the emergency lanyard on the back, (sometimes they will look like they are on but aren't)

if those are fine then check to see if it firing at the sparkplug, and if it is getting fuel at the carburetor.

check these and let me know where you are at on it and we'll go from there.  

Wolf Performance

bumblebee bumblebee
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 01/18/08
02:00 PM

PLEASE PLEASE EVERYONE READ AND TAKE NOTICE!!!
These quad,pit bikes, everything coming from china all are shipped with oil made from fish NOT petro.  Do Not Run any of these engines prior to changing the oil that comes in them. I have bought several of them and didn't change the oil first thing on the first ones,nothing but troubles from them, started changing oil before starting or even turning them over 99% problems went away. so be advised  Thanks  

raders raders
Posted: 01/24/08
08:15 PM

we bought 2 chinese 110 atv for christmas. one has a problem with making very loud, sharp noise (like a gun going off) in a series, when we give it a lot of throttles. the atv does not make the noise when driving slowly or gradually going faster. It does not act or sound like a back fire.  It idles fine, maybe a slight miss, but gets around fine. maybe not as much power as the other 110. would like to find a good shop manual. Any idea on the problem.  I changed the plug, checked for an exhaust leak. help  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/24/08
10:11 PM

sounds like either the timing is off or the head gasket is leaking.

to check for a head gasket: with the engine running spray starting fluid on the gasket where the cylinder and head meet.
if it idles higher when you spray it or stumbles and tries to die, then you know the head gasket is leaking.

if the timing is off or a valve is slightly warped, then you need to repair it depending on which.  

Wolf Performance

longo3 longo3
Posted: 01/25/08
12:03 AM

I bought a tao tao firefox with a 125 motor from a dealership 75 miles from my house that i found on ebay. In their parking lot the bike would take off very slowly but it did start moving. I brought it home set it down out of the truck in my front pasture. The thing would not pull it self foward in ankle high grass. In reverse it felt like it could throw you. I took it back, They didnt have anoter with racks. Traded down to the scorpion with no racks. Took it home and did get 25 minutes of mild drive time before the transmision locked up. The gear selector would move but felt like it was disconnected inside. I picked it up to put in truck and the back wheels started moving again. I set it back down and all the gears were back but you can hear a metal noise kicking around in the trasmision. I took it back to the dealer he kept it for 2 days and didnt even look at it yet when I called. I went back up there (100 bucks in gas by now) And he told me I broke both of his 4 wheelers and if i wanted it wanted to return it I would have to pay for the damages to it. Im 38 and wanted something to put around the land with. He said he dont get bad ones I was a lier and has obviously rode it to hard. So for $1297.00 I got to drive a 4 wheeler 3-5 mph for 25 minutes. They will not even honor the return policy they have I might as well give up on the 1 year waranty. If anybody out there is thinking about buying one of these pieces of junk dont.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/25/08
08:11 AM

you run into bad ones, and bad dealers as well.

I bought my sons a couple of the 110cc fusion atv's
back when they were smaller because they needed something to learn on.
my sons' 110's worked well for a while but started having issues at about 4 months.
by that time they had ridden and learned enough to upgrade them.
so i got them honda 250 and 300 fourtrax so they could learn to shift gears without having to deal with a manual clutch.
now they ride Yamaha Blasters and have mastered the manual clutch.

truth is the chinese atv's aren't built very well.
and yamaha, honda, kawasaki and suzuki are built loads better.
The chinese atv makers lure you in with cheap prices, but what you get isn't worth owning.  

Wolf Performance

WildcatTN WildcatTN
Posted: 01/28/08
03:42 PM

As a Chinese Powersports Dealer I can tell you that you have to do your homework first. To start with, no one over there makes an entire vehicle from the ground up. For example, a manufacturer of frames will then collect all the other needed items and 'assemble' them in their warehouses and put their name on it. The key is getting with the right manufacturer that uses only higher quality parts. The quality varies from Province to Province...greatly! The vehicles we import are from a frame manfacturer that uses high quality 10 and 12 guage steel - making our 70,90 and 110cc youth models beefy and able to handle up to 209lbs of kid. The engines we use are from the Longting Power group, a small engine award winner in Eur. It took time - a lot - but we now sell a youth ATV and dirt bike that is 60% of the qualty of a Honda at 30% of the price and we sell our units with 12 months parts and labor warranties. Also, our Adult Racing and Utility models, 250cc-700cc are 75-80% of the quality at 35-45% of the price. By the way, Tao Tao is an engine manufacturer - a very cheap one. We've had their engine parts blow the side engine cover off on a brand new 110 that was bought on-line and was in for service with us us because it wouldn't stay running. So, do your homework - $900 for a good Chinese-made 90cc is a lot better than a TRX90 at $2,800 if you're not sure whether your child will even like riding an ATV or if it's just a passing fad for them. Either way, there will always be 'nay-sayers' but...there are also True Believers.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/28/08
05:32 PM

You get what you pay for,  but the trx or a good brand atv will hold it's resell value alot better than the chinese atv's, as well as need fewer repairs in the longrun.
and the coolest thing perhaps is that you can buy a Honda or Yamaha used and still have faith that it will last you a good long while.

I put my sons on chinese atv's to learn to ride in the front yard, i would have never put them on trails or let them jump the chinese atv's.
honestly 60% of the quality of a brand name machine is just not enough for myself or my children for normal trail riding or trick riding.
So i got my children off the chinese atv's as soon as they learned to keep all four tires on the ground.  
and put them on Honda and then yamaha now.

with Yamaha and Honda i never had to worry that the frame would break, or brakes would fail. I only had to worry about teaching my sons to ride properly.

I do applaud you for trying to keep the quality as high as you can on these machines.
I'd like to see some of your machines just to see the difference.
As a cycle repair shop owner You can't imagine the things i hear about some of the chinese atv dealers, and some of the machines they sell.
I have had customers bring so many to me with broken frames or wheels that came off while riding.
Even with simple defects that are not attributed to rough riding most of the dealers here wont honor the warranty.

but hey at least the chinese atv's have polaris beat on quality!!  

Wolf Performance

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next Page   | Last