Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Manco Talon- Trouble Starting

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Manco Talon- Trouble Starting

sjswing sjswing
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/29/07
11:06 AM

I have a Manco Talon that I am trying to work on for a friend.  It will not start.  I have changed the fuel filter, changed spark plug, and checked gas to make sure gas was not bad.  Still no luck.  I checked to see if plug was getting spark and is not.  Did a voltage check on Ignition Module.  I am getting 2.85 volts coming from electronic ignition box to module. then getting 2.85 volts to the spark plug.  Is there something I am missing or should the voltage be greater then that?  I am not sure what part should be replaced.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  

sjswing sjswing
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
12:29 PM

Problem fixed.  What the problem was I am not quite sure, but after running voltage test and continuity test on the wires, we had checked spark again. Still was not firing. Let unit sit for a hour then went back to try it again.  Finally this time got spark from the plug. She fires up with no hesitation.  But I would have to say for anyone looking to purchase one of these 4 wheelers, go American. The extra money is worth it.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
01:01 PM

Manco Talon is another of those chinese machines that never quite hold up.

american isn't really the answer either,  buy japanese!!! they have been building them long enough to know how to without killing you or having to spend all your hard earned money on repairs.

i sold my american polaris and suddenly i was able to enjoy riding rather than having to work on it on the trails everytime i rode, or in the worst case being laughed at while being towed back to the truck by my buddies.

definately buy Japanese, sorry if that sounds unamerican, but you can't trust american atv's to get you there AND Back.
it's not this countrys' fault, but poor quality from the american atv makers.

besides riding ATV'S i also own my own cycle repair shop.  i see fair less Japanese atv's and dirt bikes inb my shop for repairs than i see american or chinese  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

skiddles901 skiddles901
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/08/09
08:03 AM

This is a great forum!
There have been several posts in regards to the quality, dependability and performance of the Manco Talon 300 (260) 4x4. Hopefuly I can help ease your hearts and minds about this machine and provde a few facts.

First, the machine has been most commonly associated with Tractor Supply Stores (TSS) here in the US. Imported by Manco Power Sports the Manco Talon has been made available by TSS in two models, the 2x4 and 4x4. The 300 or 260cc 4x4 is the most common. The machine has had great success in Europe as a road legal quad as well as trail machine.

First Fact: you will not find much about the Manco on the web when searching for the "Manco Talon" this machine is a "badge" quad....meaning LINHAI the maker of the Manco Talon makes and sells this machine for several companies under different company logos and badges...If you search Linhai atv on youtube chances are you'll see your quad.

The Manco talon has also been made and marketed as a true LINHAI ATV in Europe as well as for sears as a Craftsman ATV and for MANCO Motor Sports here in the states. Truth be known the main chasis of the Manco and most of it's parts are earlier model Polaris machines.....Yes Polaris!

Fact Two: Polaris provides the underbody, chasis, suspension and body plastic to LINHAI and LINHAI throws in the engine, tranny and electrical. The Talon, Bighorn (Yamaha), Craftsman and Polaris Trailblazer are all the same machine engine down.

Here in lies the trouble posted with the Manco Talon 4x4... we found that the bulk of the Talon's issues are with the electrical systems. The knock off Chinese wiring is the root of it's evil and where Linhai tried to save some money.

When I bought mine as an introduction to ATV riding I ran into several of the same issues as far as starting and stalling. the mahine as a whole is very well built and dependable. The heavy rugged frame provides for a great working machine and trial blazer...however cheap fuses and poor quality connectors have been its acillies heal.

If you buy one of these machines your next stop on the way home should be the closest auto supply store to buy a box of replacement Bussman fuses and some quality spade and paddle connectors..then start replacing them. I have put 175 miles on this machine and trully love it. It's big, suprisingly powerful (for a 300) and well balanced for a day on the trails. The Polaris plaform makes it easy to add winches, lights and bags. Here are a couple of web sites that provide parts and service. good luck! Jim

www.amsportworks.com & www.gokartsrus.com  

franky1 franky1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/03/09
03:15 PM

Hi Skiddles,

I am considering getting the Linhai 300 ATV which is the one you have.
I would welcome any feedback, is there any reason not to go for it?
How is the chassis holding?
Any major issues?
Should I go for a branded one instead?

Franky  

matt1985 matt1985
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/04/09
11:35 AM

Hey I do agree that engine wise they are dependable. So far the only problems i've had with mine are electrical. When they break were do you find replacement parts, cause nobody I know can find parts.  

franky1 franky1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/04/09
08:04 PM

hi Mat,

I am not sure whats going on with the support for Linhai.
Which model do you have?
I am looking at the 300 4x4, trying to figure out if its good for what I need it.
A bit of trail, bit of road, pushing it from time to time but nothing crazy.

Any feedback is welcome!

Franky  

Larryb6 Larryb6
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/05/10
07:06 AM

Manco Talon 2X2.  I have had the same starting/running problems since I purchased the bike several years ago.  I have used the bike very little because it is hard to start and keep running.  I use the bike for hunting and sometime it runs great and then sometimes you can not get it statred.  I have noticed that when it gets wet I have the most problem.  I have changed the gas, gas filter and drianed the gas lines and still have the problem.  I think you are correct and it seems to be more electrial. Did you replace all the wiring as well as the connectors and fuses?  How about the spark plug wire? Is there an after market wiring harness for the bike? Also do you knwo where I can purchase a shop manual?  Thanks Larryb  

meangreen71 meangreen71
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/06/10
12:55 AM

I bought a Manco Talon last March up till about a month ago everything was great.Then right after Christmas the battery went dead(no big deal)I got a new one 2 days ago it went dead(completely dead)!Any ideas where to start looking? Confused  

rustygun116 rustygun116
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/07/11
08:37 PM

the best place to buy parts for the talon atvs is sunright .com they are out of georgia  

smitty1943 smitty1943
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/29/11
02:06 PM

I have rode my Manco Talon hard for 4 and a half years.Love it,have had NO problems till now,now it will turn over but not start up.Can anyone give me some sugguestions?          
                          Thanks in advance.  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 12/02/11
03:41 PM

Smitty, do you have spark, have you tried putting some fuel into the cylinder then trying to start?  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

jimabbey1 jimabbey1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/05/11
12:43 PM

I have a Talon 4x4 that refuses tso start on any given day.  I have spent about $400.00 on technicians who have replaced the choke and carburator along with a ton of time.  Is there a sure fire way to cure this thing.  It floods itself when you try to start it.  Sometimes if you change out the plug it will start but not always.  I currently have it in the garage with an electric heater on it and the plugs on top of the fireplace mantle.  

mikelm14 mikelm14
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 12/07/11
04:43 PM

Jimabbey, how is the spark -weak or strong? When it does start how well does it run?  
DISCLAIMER: REPAIR ADVICE IS GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

phx27 phx27
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/11/12
07:26 AM

Same as you, I've had mine a few years and all of a sudden it wouldn't crank.  I checked a lot of things and put some fuel directly into the carb and it would start up momentarily - shutting off as soon as the fuel was expended.  Deducing that no fuel is getting to the carb, my next step is to replace the fuel pump if I can find one.  I assume there is a fuel pump by looking at the parts manual.

Since it has been a while since you posted, did you get yours running?  If so, what was the problem?  Thanks.  

1 |  2 |  Next Page