Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

noise in a 700 twin sportsman

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

noise in a 700 twin sportsman

nomadgj nomadgj
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 11/03/07
09:08 PM

my 700 Sportsman makes a very loud whining noise in high range when I am moving at slower speed. It is so loud it hurts my ears, and I'm almost deaf to start with. When I run it in low range there is no abnormal sound. When I cruise at a faster speed in high the sound seems to go away.It sounds like a belt noise but not sure. Anyone know what it is?  GJ  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/01/07
07:21 AM

the polaris trail boss i had did the same thing.  sounds like a tractor in low range when you are running in high range.

typical noise for a polaris tranny.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

dsholar dsholar
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/14/08
07:09 PM

I recently purchased a TWIN 700 Sportsman and I noticed that when I take a corner and slow down the drive shaft chatters a little. Not much but this is my 3rd Polaris and so I know what they should sound like. I called the dealer and he explained it was fine. However I have a 2001 Sportsman with the same suspension and it is completly smooth and quite. What do you guys think?  Was I feed a bunch of crap?

Thanks
dsholar  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/14/08
08:02 PM

you never know with polaris.

could be the ujoint has no slack or tolerance, and when you corner it causes the tires to slow abit, and the chattering you hear could be this lack of play in the u joint.

ride the wheels off of it while it's under warranty,
if it goes away then the ujoint created the slack it needed through natural wear, and if not and it breaks down you at least have a warranty to work with to get it fixed.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

dsholar dsholar
Posted: 01/15/08
09:18 AM

Thanks I will give it a shot.

Dsholar  

proyamaharider proyamaharider
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/18/08
05:10 AM

IM NOT SURPRISED... i have herd they dont make good machines......i have3 heard that mud and water gets in there and cuases a mess  

sportsman7 sportsman7
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/08
09:27 AM

check the oil level in your tranny  mine did same thing added oil whent away.  

wolf1 wolf1
11:01 PM

a freind of mine called me the other day,
he said His Polaris was making funny noises.

so i asked him to describe them to me.

He said, when i press the starter button it makes a whirring sound,then it starts to sound like a lazy fat bumblebee.
he said when he pushed the throttle the noise got louder.

I told him: the funny noise you hear is not a normal sound for a POlaris; but it is the sound the engine makes when it is actually running.

I also told him:
don't get used to that sound. but you should go ride it before it stops running again. Grin  

Wolf Performance

lakings lakings
Posted: 02/17/08
07:59 PM

hey dshole that is normal for the 700 and 800 twins. all that is, is slop in the drive shaft. if you look about 1/2 foot up from the tranny to the front of the shaft you will see a grease zert. right there the two shaft come togeather and there is a little play in there.  

4wheelcrazy 4wheelcrazy
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/18/08
05:57 PM

Hi, I have a Polaris 700 twin 2007 model. I have had the same noise. I added a little lucas oil stabilizer to the front and rear differentials and to the transmission. Not a lot, Just about an ounce. It took alot of the noise away. Hope this helps.  

4wheelcrazy 4wheelcrazy
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/18/08
06:01 PM

My 700 twin has about 23 hrs on it and it does the same thing. It chatters alot going down a steep grade. My dealer said it was normal also. I think it is the back lash in the tranny making the noise.  

dsholar dsholar
Posted: 02/28/08
01:29 PM

Thanks I will give it a try
Dsholar  

dsholar dsholar
Posted: 02/28/08
01:29 PM

Thanks for the info..

Dsholar  

BKHUSKER BKHUSKER
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/19/08
07:31 PM

I have a 2006 800 twin EFI, it does the same thing.  At low speed I hear a rattle, when I give it gas it goes away.  I also hear a rattle like a heat plate is loose.  Anyone have this problem as well?  

IcelandATV IcelandATV
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/20/08
08:11 AM

Icon QuoteBKHUSKER:
I have a 2006 800 twin EFI, it does the same thing.  At low speed I hear a rattle, when I give it gas it goes away.  I also hear a rattle like a heat plate is loose.  Anyone have this problem as well?

I have a brand new 2008 800 Twin Touring and it makes the exact same noise as described here above. I thought it was the heat plate around the exhaust that was loose but it seems to be coming from another source.
Does anyone know what this could be?  

1 |  2 |  Next Page