Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

bombardier traxter starting problems

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  Next Page   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

bombardier traxter starting problems

astibbs astibbs
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/29/07
03:20 PM

I am having a problem to where my traxter xt will not engage the starter when the button is pushed. I have jumpered from the battery to the lug on the starter and the starter will work. I have removed the starter solenoid and used jumpers off of the battery to check and make sure it energizes. every thing checks out there. but when i put the system together and push the start button the lights go out and the instrument cluster is dead but nothing happens with the starter or solenoid. Does anyone have a schematic of the starting circuit so i can see if there are any switches on the engine that could be stopping the process.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/02/07
07:06 AM

it sounds like the battery is just not charged enough to operae the instrument cluster and the starter.

try charging the battery.
as well most atv batteries don't last more than a season.
electric start is nice but i have gotten used to the kick start on my blaster.
no battery just a magneto system. so no worries with buying batteries or rebuilding starters.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

scv9281 scv9281
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/28/08
07:05 AM

Same thing happend to us a few years ago.  take off the terminals and clean thoroughly.  wire wheel, pocket knife etc.  do same for starter wires. and wires to relay box.  find ground and do same.  all should be well.  

flagtraxter flagtraxter
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/27/08
10:07 PM

I just bought a 2000 traxter with a similar problem, starter turns, won't engage. bought a service manual and its pretty sketchy. I took the starter apart, there's noting inside that would prevent engaging. its just a 12 volt motor with the gear being part of the armature. I haven't gotten this thing to run its been sitting for a year. I'm confident it will run if i can get it to turn over. to make matters worse the recoil starter handle is broken, and after trying to pull start it a few times (hard tug very good compression) the recoil wouldn't engage either sigh. any input would be appreciated.  

flagtraxter flagtraxter
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 01/05/09
01:34 PM

Well I've had my old 2000 traxter running for a few months now but still don't have the electric starter problem resolved. I did get the recoil starter working (omg do these engines have compression, quite a tug), need to get that electric working Tongue. I'm hearing a lot about the "sprag clutch", I assume thats internal but not sure where. Anyone have any help there? Thanks  

dp41460 dp41460
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/21/09
11:15 AM

i have a 2001 traxter  when starter engages just grinds. took starter off and had it checked ,checked ok.manual pull start works if your more of a man than i am on this 500. any ideas what could be causing noise?thanks  

jnicki jnicki
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/22/09
02:46 PM

having the same problem as dp41460 just put it in the shop should here something in a couple days.  

neptunebrp neptunebrp
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/25/09
10:36 AM

have 03 traxter max will not start with button same problems as stated in the older posts, mine also wont shift automatically or manuelly,cleaned everything,no blown fuses,hope not a mpem problem.was hoping to find out what they did to fix your machine,thanks in advance  

viper_driver viper_driver
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/26/09
09:28 AM

I can solve a lot of peoples' problems. I have a 2001 traxter 500. It has been a GREAT atv being used mainly for plowing and pushing cars/trucks around, a very tough machine indeed. However, its greatest downfall is the starter. With only 200 miles on it, I started to have trouble with the electric starter. I took it back to the dealer, Leisure Life Sports here in Omaha, who claimed to find "Nothing wrong with it". Not long after the warranty expired, the electric starter failed. I removed the starter to find it was indeed working fine, and turning the flywheel, but the engine was not turning with the flywheel. Reason is- there is a one way clutch on the flywheel. Notice how the starter does not retract and stays constantly engaged? That is due to the clutch built into the flywheel, which has failed. In talking with the dealer, I came to find out that this is a very common problem with the Traxters. Basically I was told I am S.O.L. and they wanted over $2500 parts and labor to fix it. The engine AND transmission must be removed, and then seperated to replace, and according to the dealer calls for over 22 hours of labor. Up until last month, the pull starter was doing fine but has now failed too, so I am just going to sell the damn thing with all the BS I've endured with it. I paid just over $10,000 BRAND NEW for the quad, trailer and plow and now, with only 1500 miles on it, it isnt worth its weight in scrap metal. Hope this helps everyone..  

jnicki jnicki
Posted: 01/26/09
05:22 PM

well i hope that's not what's wrong with mine.
i should hear back tomorrow where my traxter is being check out.
but thank you for post.  

jnicki jnicki
Posted: 01/29/09
02:45 PM

Viper driver was right $1500 to fix my 2001 traxter clutch & they said hopefully they don't find any other damage parts.  OUCH  

roy1 roy1
Posted: 01/31/09
07:22 PM

I have a 2000 traxter and have found that the plugs will fail without warning. I always carry a spare set since there is no warning. The atv will still turn over but will not start. Give this a try.
Roy  

roy1 roy1
Posted: 01/31/09
07:49 PM

I have a 2000 traxter 500cc. When I started it, it would make a clunking noise but would still start with repeated attempts. It had been doing this for some time but was getting worse. I bought a repair manual from Rockymountin ATV but found it useless for this issue.I complained and they said they would update their manual with the problem and send me a new one. Anyway I removed the starter and found that it did not have a clutch as  one would expect and worked just fine when tested. I found out from a local backyard mechanic that this particular traxter has what he called a "one way bearing" on the flywheel and that it was not engaging properly.  I didn't feel competent  enough to fix it myself so I took it to him and had it repaired. The bearing was $220 plus a gasket kit and it took 13 hours. The total cost was $684. It now works better than new. I love this machine and find it to be a great work horse around our property and use mainly for plowing snow. It uses about 60% of the fuel that our Outlander 400 does. I think the direct drive system is the reason for this.  

neptunebrp neptunebrp
Posted: 02/04/09
03:41 PM

I have similar problem,sounds like MPEM, mine is at dealer right now and that is there diagnosis,my thread is under electrical issues,the mpem and the sprague clutch are the weak links to this machine,always have good battery,do not jumper between running vehical or try to start off a battery charger fries mpem.sprague clutch is one way,when battery is not capable of turning over motor fast enough,it will with weak charge stop on compression and go backwards thats what screws up high dollar sprague clutch,mine has 650 miles mostly work and a little trail ridin,alot of road riding.I think neighbor when borrowing it when i was on vacation tried jump starting it,these are bastards to pull start,have spare battery fully charged and use jumper cables in between dead battery and full battery and it will start without ffffing up the mpem or the sprague dealers will not garuntee new mpem after install because there could be bad wire causing short that can fup new mpem  

buxley buxley
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/08/09
08:25 PM

I have a 2001 traxter and just replaced the sprague clutch.  about 500 in parts and 12 hours in labor.  I have never did this before and on a scale of 1 to 10 it is about an eight for difficulty.  The engine must be removed, rear suspension dropped, plastic removed.  all in all not easy but definately something someone can do at home.  Dealer wanted about 1400 at a minimum to do this.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  Next Page   | Last