Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

Polaris Sportsman 335 not firing

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Polaris Sportsman 335 not firing

deerhunter deerhunter
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/10/07
01:36 PM

I have a 1998 Sportsman 335 and I was riding it Sunday and everything was just fine, then Monday I went to start it and it would'nt start. I am not getting any fire to the plug. I pulled the front off last night and do not see any broken wires. Can anyone give me any ideas of where to start without buying high $ parts and not needing them?  

willp1 willp1
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/22/07
08:39 AM

so many things for you too check. first your kill switch--then your plug cap, your ignition switch, your coil resistance, your stator resistances, sorry--no checks it seems for CDI. I have a 91 250. and no spark either. i'm still trying. let me know how you do.  

westwest12123 westwest12123
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/27/07
11:00 PM

Icon Quotewillp1:
so many things for you too check. first your kill switch--then your plug cap, your ignition switch, your coil resistance, your stator resistances, sorry--no checks it seems for CDI. I have a 91 250. and no spark either. i'm still trying. let me know how you do.

the pull rope on my polaris broke,the knot fell in side the case and hite the pick up.its the part that sends signel to coial pack to make unite fire.u can clean the pickup and flywheel with 180sandpaper.to clean rust off it. if that does not work.you need a new pikeup and stater.the stater is behind the flywheel.thepickup is on the outside of the flywheel.make shure the pickup is gaped.you can come close to it.fold a pice of paper in half and put in between pickup and flywheel.talked to parts guy at polari he said the pickup and stater are the first thing to go bad un a polaris.I hope this helped you.  

deerhunter deerhunter
Posted: 10/29/07
01:25 PM

Thanks for replying. I broke down and carried it to my local Polaris dealership and he said it's the stator. And of course he wanted to sell me a new one for $350. But I found a place in California and another in Canada that will rebuild (replace the coil bobbins)the stator and guarantee them for 1 year for $125, or they will sell you the coil bobbins and you can put them in yourself for @ $40  

bailenforcement bailenforcement
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/14/07
07:22 PM

as far as no spark i agree with willp1. but my experience as an automotive mechanic tells me that first you need to create lees problems for yourself not more. about 8 out of 10 times a good visual inspection should tell you something. if not i would start at the coil, you will need an ac voltage tester digital or you can check resistance on secondary windings. you can test the spark plug cap using an ohmeter as well. if you have more than 12000 ohms replace the wire though i doubt that is your problem. i think you will find your problem in the coil. this also depends where you live. west coast no rust east coast or snow causes corrosion. check the easiest first the coil. also check the shutoff switch. i hope this is helpful  

deerhunter deerhunter
Posted: 12/03/07
01:19 PM

Thanks guys. I replaced the coil bobbins  on the stator and that fixed it.  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/04/07
09:14 AM

cool drag it out to chattanooga tennessee and hit these awesome trails we have out here!!!!  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

redbud39 redbud39
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/08/07
02:04 PM

Would you please send me all the information on a Polaris 335 stator? I'm 99% positive that's my problem, but I am not paying $400 for a new one. Please reply ASAP. Reply to me at ktbjanderson@earthlink.net. Thank you for your time, Kevin.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 12/08/07
07:50 PM

you can buy the stator bobbins fairly cheap and put them in yourself

the stators aren't really great on polaris.

also to pick one cheap check ebay,

but i warn ya, polaris has a nasty habit of hiding them behind the flywheel which can be a real pain to remove.

grab a torch and a good puller, and a big hammer,  do a visual check on the stator sometimes you can tell by looking at it.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance

Isaac3 Isaac3
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/25/08
07:35 PM

I have the same problem with ny Sportsman 500EFI not firing. Twice now I have put mine in the shed after working fine all day. The next moring it would not start. The dealer claims it is due to water getting down in the recoil started casing and likly caused the Plate Assembly Plate in the Magnito to get wet. They claim it has to be replaced along with a noisy ASM-Gear Shaft for starting. Would anyone know if water would cause these parts to really fail? The Plate, maybe, it is electrical, but the shaft isn't electrical. The ATV is not two years old and they will not respect the warrenty because of the water issue. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Isaac  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 01/25/08
08:03 PM

yes it most certainly could, but here's the rub...  how many atv riders have you ever seen avoid a puddle?

I haven't seen anyone ever avoid a puddle.
and personally I can't either.
and if water can get in it then so can dirt.
and no one avoids dirt on an atv.
with that being said why design an atv that can't be ridden through a puddle of water?

yes polaris should have to replace it under warranty, but time after time they wiggle out from under warranty quickly and blame the rider.
My advice is get it fixed, sell it and buy a honda or yamaha,

Honda has only had 7 recalls since 2000
Yamaha has only had 4 recalls since 1997

Polaris has had 13 since 1999.(not to mention the defects like yours they wont admit to)  

Wolf Performance

lakings lakings
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 02/01/08
09:04 PM

yea just a quick reply to wolf those Polaris come with a drain plug in the bottom of the magneto cover and it is the riders responsibility to drain the water. and Polaris might have 13 recalls that is because they actually man up to there mistakes.  

wolf1 wolf1
Posted: 02/01/08
10:04 PM

actually no quite the opposite,

even if you drain the water the magneto will still rust at the contacts just by getting wet.
it's a crappy design that Polaris is aware of but wont change because as long as they can blame the customer they
don't have to warranty the cheap Taiwanese stators they put on their machines.
(Polaris is also co-owned by fuji heavy industries, so there's alot of that "american made polaris" that well... isn't quite made in america.)

Check out the recalls on the consumer product safety commission website, you'll see what iam talking about.

The Co-Founder of polaris was quoted as saying "if we made 400 machines we got 500 back"
and the fact that year after year they have so many recalls really says alot about their lack of quality.

Polaris definately doesn't man up on warranty or defective issues until they absolutely have to.

even if they did decide to "man up", who would want to buy an atv that is notoriously bad about falling apart, or causing serious injuries to the rider year after year?
Who would care that they man up, if they have to do it constantly rather than raise their standards of quality?

they spent over 3 million in settlements, and with this current ranger recall being a recall that has occurred in the past with other models (as most of their recalls are) we are only left to believe that they just don't care about quality but only care about making a fast buck at the expense of their customers.

but what do you expect from a company that basically it's main expertise is in making farm tractors??

Polaris needs to seriously get out of the business of making atv's like they did their waverunner line.  

Wolf Performance

zman2 zman2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/12/08
11:53 AM

I have a question about this same ATV.  I bought mine and it didn't come with a service manual.  I can't really find one but I did find one for the 500cc sportsman.

Are the 335 and the 500 essentially the same and can I buy the Clymer service manual for the 500 and use it on my 335???

This is the link to the manual I might buy:

http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=799&title=Polaris+Sportsman+400%2c+2001-2003%3b+Sportsman+500%2c+1996-2003+%26+Xplorer+500%2c+1997

Thanks a ton!
Zman2  

Outlaw525 Outlaw525
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/14/08
02:35 PM

Wolf1 you really sound like you know alot about how bad polaris is.  The funny thing is that if you ask my opinion, I dont think you know as much as you think you do.  They all have problems and they all have recalls.  Some brands just chose to keep there little problems secrets till they have been sued for millions.  I have worked on and riden just about every quad out there and to be honest with everyone.  Polaris might not be the lightest or the fastest or the cheapest but they do everything well.  

1 |  2 |  Next Page