Newsletter Facebook Click here to find out more!

2003 Honda Rancher ATV won't start, just clicks

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

2003 Honda Rancher ATV won't start, just clicks

sweet-t sweet-t
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/24/07
03:22 PM

03 rancher been sitting over a year. hooked up jump box but nothing the solenoid/relay (not sure what its called, the round thing by battery) just clicks extremely loud. i'm sure the battery is dead but the jumpbox has enough pep to do it. don't know anything about the solenoid or if that is it. any ideas?  

timh3500 timh3500
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/03/08
07:08 AM

Hi, I have a Honda Foreman with the exact same problem.  I was wondering if you ever figured out the issue with it....  

wolf1 wolf1
Addict | Posts: 4283 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 09/03/08
02:36 PM

could be the solenoid

first thing i would do is test the starter.
using your booster cables connect the positive lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the other end of the positive cable to the starters' positive terminal. see if the starter turns over.
if not then you have a bad starter.
if so then i would look at the starter solenoid.
you can normally jump the starter solenoid by placing a screwdriver between the two bolt posts on the solenoid. if it is the solenoid this will allow it to feed voltage to the starter.
causing the starter to turn.
there is a small risk of damage to the cdi doing this though, although i have never had a cdi damaged doing this to test it.  
ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, I CANNOT ATTEST TO YOUR MECHANICAL ABILITY FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Wolf Performance
...KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!....

timh3500 timh3500
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/04/08
08:16 AM

thanks for the info.  I will test that today when I get off work.  I know the solenoid was replaced with a new one and it continued to click as with the old solenoid so I'm anxious to test the starter....